Existing Member?

Chris' Adventures My highly anticipated trip to the America's...

By popular demand: A new hat and a smile..

USA | Wednesday, 8 August 2007 | Views [699] | Comments [5]

A new hat and a smile!

A new hat and a smile!

Ok so i've found a thesaurus on the net so i don't have to use the word cool too many times in this blog!! I think i've used that word too much!! hehe..

Thursday, 2nd July, 2007

So after spending all of Wednesday watching movies after my early flight to Chicago, on Thursday i caught the train into town and did a few things.. I met a really nice lady on the train who gave me a lot of tips on things to do and how to get around in the city.. So the first thing i did was to head down to Grant Park, where i would be spending the next three days at Lollapalooza and just got an idea of where i would have to go etc.

Then i headed to the Sears tower, the third tallest building in the world! It was very dandy.. After a short movie on the history of the building, i caught the elevator up to the top floor which has been turned in to a observation level.. The elevator only took about 1 minute to get to the top which was quite divine.  It was pretty crazy one minute being on the ground floor and then walking out the elevator to be about 500 meters off of the ground!  Have a look in the gallery for this entry to see the photos..

I then pretty caught the train home and prepared myself for Lollapalooza the next day!!!! :)

Friday, 3rd July, 2007

LOLLAPALOOZA: Day one

So, Lollapalooza.. It was glorious!

I arrived at about midday and made my way straight to the bar to get a beer!! Possibly a mistake in the plus 32 degree weather but oh well.. The first band i saw was Color Revolt.. They were quite good however, one of their songs that i had been listening to for the last month or so that i loved and looked forward to hearing at Lolla, they didn't play!! grrr.. Wasn't too happy!.. But they were pretty groovy none the less..

There wasn't a lot that i wanted to see during the first day so i pretty much just wandered around drinking beer and watching some bands reasonably unknown to me.. I also met a cool Chicago girl called Sam who was also there by herself, so we pretty much became Lollapalooza buddies for the three days and it was good to have someone to hang out with..

LCD Soundsystem were quite hunky-dory and they played there new single which i really like although the song goes for like 7 minutes and the music is pretty much the same throughout the entire song..

Ben Harper was awesome, although by this stage of the night, after a fair few beers and no food (once again not the greatest idea!) i don't remember a lot of the songs he played but i do distinctly remember enjoying it a lot.. And Eddie Vedder came out at the end and played a song with him!! That was very exciting!

Saturday, 4th July, 2007

LOLLAPALOOZA: Day Two

After a long day, no food and beer on day one, i didn't get to lollapalooza til about 2:30pm on the Saturday..  But this was probably my favourite day of the Festival, even with everyone there being drunk and me being completely sober and getting there too late to see Tapes 'n Tapes, Silverchair and Cold War Kids!!

However, i did get to see The Hold Steady, Spoon, Snow Patrol and Interpol..  They were all ace however the stand out band for me for the whole festival was definately Interpol for four reasons

1. They had an awesome energy on stage and looked like they were really really enjoying being there

2. The sound mix was like perfect

3. The lead singer had 'breasts' written on his guitar in big letters which i found funny and found myself chuckling about at several times during the show and ..

4. They played every song that i hoped to hear (Obstacle 1, NYC, PDA, Slow Hands, Evil, Stellar was a diver and The heinrich maneveur)

GO HERE to see PDA at Lolla: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKQgEuSjcI4

so yeah i walked away quite satified..

Sunday, 5th July, 2007

LOLLAPALOOZA: Day 3

The last day of Lollapalooza was also very marvelous although after two pretty full on days i was pretty much exhausted so it was difficult to get motivated although the thought of seeing Kings of Leon, My Morning Jacket and Peal Jam kept me going pretty well!!

Kings of Leon were neat and they also played most of the songs i had hoped to hear them play.. Once again.. Eddie Vedder made a special appearance.. Have a look..

GO HERE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-9MUgQOoGQ

My Morning jacket were the next band i wanted to see and they were nifty they played a few songs by themselves and then a few songs in they got the Chicago Youth Orchestra to come out and play the rest of the show with them..

Pearl Jam was the headline band.. They were as expected awesome and played an great two hour show.. Once again in the theme of the weeekend, Ben Harper came out and played with them in a "Stop the war" protest song.. Another great moment..

After Pear Jam, as i predicted "A Take On Franklin" came out and played a blistering set, playing all the favourites such as Cease and Desist, Dance Alone and Seven Swans.. Then Eddie Vedder AND Ben Harper came out and praised ATOF for being so influential in Pearl Jam's career.. The crowd went wild for ATOF and many people got injured from all the crowd surfers.. After they finished i ran into a Rolling Stone writer who said, and i quote, "I think [A Take On Franklin] they are the best band on the Planet".. Unfortunately i have no photos of ATOF in action as my camera battery went flat.. honestly.. and im assuming that you probably won't find any pictures of them in action on the net because everyone was so transfixed on the stage and probably didn't want to waste the experience taking photos..

Monday, 6th July, 2007 and Tuesday, 7th July, 2007

One thing that i forgot to mention was that on Day 1 of Lollapalooza i got a massive blister on the bottom of my foot.. and then on day 2 i had to alter my walking so as to not let and pressure be on my blister which in turn caused my ankle to be sore... So i have basically spent the last two days not doing anything except watch TV and movies trying to make my foot better as i have a lot of walking to do in the next month.. So nothing exciting on the last two days..

Chris xoxo 

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

Perhaps ATOF will be somewhere on youtube! I'm gonna go spend 3 hrs looking for them!

  J-Rod Aug 8, 2007 10:10 AM

2

I think ATOF will definately be on you tube... just not yet. Maybe after their millions of fans stop watching their full on footage of the festival! lol!

Hope you are having the time of your life Champ! Enjoy it!

Lots of hugs and kisses

Love

BEc and Belle xoxo

  Beccy Aug 8, 2007 10:41 AM

3

Oh my god... I saw ATOF at Lollapalooza. They were soooo awesome. As Chris said, however, I was so transfixed on ATOF that I didn't want to waste the experience taking photos... Sooooooooo awesome!

  Sophie Aug 8, 2007 12:22 PM

4

Oh I really don't know who the hell ATOF is, Is it some sort of food or wine or something??
Well, anyway........Glad it was SPLENDID and that everything was just dandy.
I like the new hat Chris - Did you throw the orange one off the third highest building in the world?
love ya boy - bring it all back - except of course the orange hat - well I do love the colour but.......??

  Didi Aug 10, 2007 3:24 PM

5

Dont you think the acroynm ATOF is quite similar to Russel Crowes band Thirty odd foot of grunts (TOFOG). hmmmm.... Similar quality bands too :)

  Toby Aug 21, 2007 9:53 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.