Existing Member?

Back home via Oz and South America

Walking, heavy packs and flavoured rice

CHILE | Wednesday, 10 January 2007 | Views [409]

Arrived in Puerto Natales and found a good place to live with a really helpful guy who also rented out equipment...equipment for doing a multi-day trek...ooh scary stuff. So the next day we got our gear together and booked all the bus tickets to do the W circuit of the Torres del Paine National Park. We spent half the day shopping for food to take with us - mmmmm flavoured rice for 5 days, and then hurredly packed all the things into the two backpacks, which by the end were full.

Next day we got the bus early to the park. When we got to the start of the trail we realised how heavy our bags were. We were pretty much exhausted by the time we´d walked to the other side of the car park and looking at the map 6 hours of walking with the packs up hill seemed even further than we imagened. We made the smart choice of camping half way up the valley towards the Torres and then made the trip to the top in the evening to see the sun setting over the towers - absolutely amazing even though it was like scrambling on our hands on a proper trail! The next day we set off early trying to get to the camp at the base of second valley. It was another beautiful day, warm and sunny, and we saw loads of condors circling around - some we though had the´re eye on us waiting for us to drop half way along. The walking was tough, always up and down, but we made it through with the aid of many chocolate breaks. On the way we saw an avalanch as part of the glacier on the mountain we were walking to collapsed and fell down. It was the most amazing sight we´d seen - just so powerful. All day long we heard cracks as the glacier moved. We camped next to the river - we were drinking the river water as it´s all clean and really cold and it tastes so pure. On the third day we made our way up to see the galaciers up close. On the way down we spotted a woodpecker and then it´s mate. Then on the way down Rosie managed to twist her ankle about 300m from the camp. That slowed us down a bit - in the afternoon we took our time to the base of the last valley and camped there - waiting to see if Rosie´s ankle was good enough to walk on for the final day. We decided not to risk the last part of the track up to the Glacier Gray, and got the coach back to Puerto Natales in the afternoon a day earlier than we expected. We came back exausted and fell asleep early. All in all, a rather gruling trip, but we´re proud of ourselves for having made it as far as we did.

Tags: The Great Outdoors

 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.