Existing Member?

Back home via Oz and South America

Chiclayo and then Trujillo

PERU | Tuesday, 26 December 2006 | Views [1320]

Arrived a bit later than expected in Chiclayo but the hotel was decent and we ended up staying for our whole time here. On our first proper day we visited the site where el señor de Sipan was found. It's a pretty awesome discovery - it was actually tomb robbers who gave the first cue of the tomb´s location and all the treasures were still intact. The tomb were found in 1987 and excavated by Peru. The next day we visited the museum which houses all the relics and treasures - very ornate and intricate pieces. The actual town of Chiclayo is lovely. Hardly any gringos (I think we spotted one) and lots of mango trees around. It didn´t appear as poor as some other places we´d been to also.

We got the bus to Trujillo which was pretty chaotic, at least at the bus station. Probably a few days before Christmas is always going to be hectic everwhere...except we saw a chicken in a rice bag being transported alongside the luggage. It had breathing holes but we were wondering whether it may work out that it could use the other holes as foot holes and run off!

Trujillo is a nice town too. Again seems to be more affluent than some of the other towns we had previously visited. Here we took a tour to see the Chan Chan and Huaca ruins. Huge temples and palaces with murals; some of which have still retained their original colour. Had a game of basketball too here - they had a really well organised park with heaps of courts. It was great to do some sport after doing all that running in Australia. We were sad to leave Trujillo because we were also going to be leaving Peru. We´ve really got into it and a lot more confident esp the last week travelling on our tod...but there is so much to see and so much to experience in this country that we´ll just have to come back.

Tags: Sightseeing

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.