Existing Member?

Back home via Oz and South America

Christmas and New Years

CHILE | Wednesday, 10 January 2007 | Views [414]

Arrived in Santiago on Christmas Eve after travelling for about 18 hours so pretty tired. After wandering around Bella Vista for the third time we thought everything was going to be closed but the supermarket was open. Yay! We ended up buying bread and jam and eating it in the park like proper hobos! During our outing to the shops, a dog started to follow us...he/she waited for us outside the supermarket and then at the park fell asleep under the bench we were sat on. It was comical and sad all at the same time...we have this ability of attracting strays!

Christmas Day we ate warm cheese sammies and boil in the bag pasta. Spent the entire day watching trashy films like 50 first dates, Big, Santa Claus etc. truly exciting. After a couple more days relaxing we got the plane to Punto Arenas right down in the south of Chile. On the second day we took a tour to the Isla de Magallenas, a colony of penguins...literally thousands of them. They were very cute and surprisngly rather large too. The day after we both were not feeling 100% so took it easy. I got it worse than Chris though and spent the next four days asleep or running in and out of the bathroom. Not good. Poor Chris had to play patience with the pack of cards we had brought over and over again as there was no TV in the place we were staying at. Finally I felt better and we made our way to Puerto Natales although the cheesy chips I ordered (even though I asked specifically for papas naturales - plain potatos) were probably not the best thing to eat for the 3 hour journey!

Tags: Misadventures

 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.