Existing Member?

chinapies

Ernesto and The Crickets.

CHINA | Sunday, 30 September 2007 | Views [739]

Intrigued by the title? Yeersss.

Well, nothing much has happened this week. So I decided to spend some of this post discussing the menagerie that is becoming our apartments. Hmm, where to start...

Ah yes, giant spiders. Once upon a time, in a land of Macau... wait, I mean, in the land of Macau... there lived some people who were hanging out in Coloane. Coloane was a beautiful land (feel the alliteration... er, or maybe not. Linds pointed out that it is, in fact, just rhyme. Poor rhyme at that. Anyhow, back to the story) inhabited by the biggest *%^#$*&% spider I have ever seen in my LIFE. This thing had a span of about 6 inches, and was black and yellow, and shiny, and looked meaner than Robert DeNiro in Cape Fear. Four "and"'s used in that sentence. I suck. I think I took a picture of said booger-being, but I musta deleted it. I really suck.

Anyhow, after departure from Coloane, the people who lived there went to go to live a place a little further in the distance in Chengdu. There are about 15 mistakes in the previous sentence, and I can't be flanged fixing them right now, coz this is a spider-story, and no-one will give a damn about sentence structure when they get a glimpse of Ernesto. Back to the story. Upon arriving in Chengdu, the people who once lived in Coloane thought they would be free from the giant spiders of Coloane and Macau, but they would be wrong because they weren't.

Okay, I'm gonna give up on writing crap sentences, 'cause it looks like I'm good at it. Dang. Apologies if it got annoying. I'm gonna skip all the niceties and start with the blurry pic of Ernesto. Hold onto your stomachs, folks.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Ernesto meet world. World meet Ernesto. World, change underpants.

We first came across Ernesto's younger brother hanging outside the door. One of our neighbours jumped out of her skin when she saw him. I, being the arachnophile, gently ushered Ernesto's brother (or cousin, I wasn't sure... anyway, he was a lot teenier than Ernesto) out the door and into the discarded washing machine. Ernesto's cousin/brother was never seen nor heard of again.

Then came another one of Ernesto's relatives, this time hangin' out in Lindsay's kitchen. Of course, Lindsay is not an arachnophile such as myself (what a poncy way of saying she doesn't like spiders), so I had to usher this one out the window. Piece of cake.

Then came the dead crickets.

For the last week or so, I've been noticing an unusual change in my apartment. Instead of having crickets hangin' out in the shower enjoying a nice cup of Chengdu-scum mixed with shaving foam (or alternatively, crawling up my legs after I've finished drying myself off, just for kicks), the crickets appear to be, er, a little legless, and I'm not meaning in the metaphorical "we just spent a night at Pete's Tex-Mex drinking Heinies" way, I mean, their legs were (pardon the pun) two or three feet away from their torsos. Poor crickets. How could this be happening?

And that was when I decided to have some milk. Wow, that sounds really disjointed... and you thought I had given up on writing crappy sentences. Well, guess what... the milk is integral to the plot! Hah! So I wander into the kitchen, and a fleeting shadow catches my eye. It didn't look very large, whatever it was. Hmm, let's just have a peek under the sink -

Ernesto. There he was. Awesome!

So I usher him out of the kitchen, and seeing as he ate all the crickets there anyhow, he was only too happy to oblige. But boy, talk about greased-lightning! This puppy went from standstill to about 150 miles an hour in 0.13 seconds. Ferrari could learn a lesson or two here... try eight legs instead of four wheels, hah. So instead, Ernie set up home near my laundry, probably because my laundry tends to smell like cricket-food (see above). And this is where I took the blurry pic shown previously, and then this pic here:

Now if only I'd taken a pic of Lindsay and Andy (our new fishies), I continue yakkin' about the menagerie, but maybe next time. Hold your horse-sized spiders, will yah?

Pies out.

Pies hot-pot pic of the day!

As promise folks, here you go:

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm!

That there is some taaaaaaasty goodness! And, just to prove I was there (kind of),

That's Lin Yue Xin on the right, and our Migwuoren friends Lan Ya (centre) and Hu Wen Bo (left). Not their real names, btw, but close enough to be embarrassing. All three will kill me when they read this.

Tags: Adventures

About chinapies


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.