Existing Member?

Chris' most awesome journey

Last day in Bangkok

THAILAND | Monday, 22 July 2013 | Views [1201]

Gotta love those photo lovin' tourists

Gotta love those photo lovin' tourists

Bangkok, Thailand:   This was my last full day prior to flying back to the states so I decided to do the tourist thing.  Being a national holiday in Thailand, the roads were pretty much empty.  I took the “L” (subway above ground) aka Skytrain to Saphan Taksin station, the stop for the Central Pier.  There I boarded a river boat and headed up the Chao Phraya River (some name dropper I am) and got off at Tha Tien, the stop for the Grand Palace and Wat Phra Chettuphon Wimon Mangkhlaram Ratchaworamahawihan aka Wat Po.  I couldn’t resist one more temple.  This is also known as the Temple of the Reclining Buddha.  The Reclining Buddha is 141 feet long and 50’ tall.  Impressive to say the least.  On the other side of the Buddha, you can hear chimes.  They aren’t chimes however but people depositing coins in the 108 bronze bowls.  These bowls represent the 108 auspicious characters of Buddha and are believed to bring good luck.  (I think I lost my hotel key card there which cost me 750 baht ($24.18) to replace…so much for good luck!).

Then I started to walk back to the hotel.  After an hour of walking in my sandals, I decided my time would be put to better use eating lunch so I went and got some Pad Thai.  As I was eating, the Royal Family (the Prince I assume since the King is in the hospital) passed by along with their entourage.  The prince and his gang were in a white Rolls Royce and the entourage in 30+ identical red Mercedes that were then followed by another 10 police cars and about 20 motorcycles.  The road was completely closed down.  If that wasn’t the Royal family, it was sure someone with a lot of clout that knew every traffic cop in town!

I was a bit tired so I flagged down a tuk tuk driver and asked him how much to take me to Chit Lom Skytrain stop.  He raised 2 fingers which I assume meant 20 baht.  As I was getting out, I gave him 20 baht and his English all of a sudden got better…”No, I said 200 baht” he demanded.  ($6.44 vs .64 cents) Well, it only cost me 250 baht from the airport to downtown and this was only 1/10th of the journey.  I caved in.  SCORE: Evil taxi & tuk tuk drivers – 3 / Stupid tourist Chris – 2. 

 

After coming way to close to losing some limbs, I have also given up trying to teach Thai drivers that pedestrians SHOULD have the right of way while in the crosswalk with the flashing green pedestrian light blinking.  I fought a brave battle but admit defeat.  I will leave that struggle to the next brave tourist to do his or her best.  Be forewarned however, the odds are against you.

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.