Existing Member?

Chris' most awesome journey

Chris does Saigon

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 10 July 2013 | Views [432] | Comments [1]

Reunification Palace

Reunification Palace

Hoi An – Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC aka Saigon):  The day began at 3:30 am to catch a 6:00 am flight from Danang to Saigon.  Armed now with my knowledge of the evil taxi driver ways, I was ready to face Saigon head on.  I was somewhat delayed at the Saigon airport since someone had taken my luggage by mistake.  I waited around the only bag left on the carousel and sure enough, someone came back to pick up their bag and was kind enough to return my bag.  I got out to the taxi stand and was looking for the gentleman in a green shirt.  I asked him to tell the taxi driver where I was headed and he confirmed that I shouldn’t pay more than $10 (210,000 VND).  We got to the hotel and even though the meter said 120,000 VND, he insisted I pay 210,000 VND!  Well…it took me two instances of being ripped off but damn if I was going to let it happen a 3rd time.  I got my bags out of the car and on the sidewalk and let the negotiations begin.  After 5 minutes of going back and forth, we settled on 140,000 VND ($1 more than the meter).  I am still unclear on who pays the tolls.  The guide books say the drivers have to pay them while the bellhop said I should pay it.  I figured a $1 wasn’t going to kill me.  I finally won one!  Taxi drivers: 2 vs Chris 1.

Since I got to the hotel at 8am, the room wasn’t ready so they sent me over to the tour desk that tried to overcharge me for a ½ day sightseeing package.  (Defenses going up).  I passed on all of them and left my bags, grabbed a map and began exploring on my own.  Right out the door, I was flooded by touts (those guys always chasing after you to sell you something or someone).  Defenses rising a bit higher now.  Walking down to Notre Dame Church, consisted being accosted by no less than 20 cab drivers.  I ducked into some high end stores but sure enough, they were there when I got back to the street.  (Getting super defensive now).  I visited the church and then over to the Presidential Palace renamed the Reunification Palace.  This is the iconic building from the 60s & 70s that was always in the media.  It was bombed once in the early 70s by a rouge South Vietnamese pilot as well (see photos).  The basement is pretty much left intact with all of the old communication gear and desks.  After that, a quick walk over to the War Remnants museum.  Even though it was a bit on the propaganda side, it did give an insight into lots of things that I was unaware of. 

 

By this time it was noon and I was hungry.  I walked into a restaurant and it seems that everything is about 1/3 more expensive here than throughout the rest of Vietnam.  I am staying on their version of the Magnificent Mile so it might just be the neighborhood.  Paying twice the amount for a beer took me over the top.  I decided that after 19 days of “going native” I was going to take a break and go “Western”.  I headed to the mall, had a ham pizza, pepsi and then went to the movies – White House Down.  Who would have thought that was all I needed to recharge my batteries?  So much for my  gripes, going back to native again tomorrow.

 

Comments

1

You are confusing me by posting the pictures before you post your written blog. Please be more considerate. I expect the gift you bring back for me to be just as nice as the gifts you bring back to Arely!

  Renie Jul 11, 2013 11:05 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.