Existing Member?

Adventurous Escapades

Hair raising experience

SOUTH AFRICA | Monday, 26 July 2010 | Views [89]

Yes, I'm talking about my recent driving experience.  Ok, it wasn't so bad, but I definately felt like I needed some tranquilisers today.  Kim and Pete (the pastors) are in France this week doing a bible week with some churches there.  They very kindly lent me their car while they are away.  I was invited to meet with a South African couple for dinner.  On the way, I thought I'd venture to Asda (store owned by Walmart - a piece of civilisation in villageland).  I've come to the conclusion that the roads here are not designed for cars.  There are many roads where there is no possible way a car can fit between the hedge and the white line in the middle of the road.  And that's not even a country lane.  Those are just completely hair raising.  Driving home this evening my trusty GPS took me onto a road that could barely fit my tiny little car.  Much heavenward prayer went up to ensure no oncoming traffic.  Whew!  Made it home, a little stressed, but in one piece.

On a different note, I went to the first church service on Sunday.  The church has a very relaxed feel.  They still meet in  a school hall.  The planning permission for their new building was finally submitted last friday.  So they will hear if its approved within the next two months.  It is summer however (a fact that I'm really enjoying) and that means that a lot of people are away.  So it was difficult to get a feel for the church as it was half empty.  The leaders being away in France has given me some time this week to settle and bit and organise my life.  I'm still trying to get a UK phone number and track down my various suitcases scattered around the UK.  And then its off to Switzerland on the 3rd!  YAY!  Everyone has been very friendly and I think they've decided to fatten me up with numerous dinner invitations.  I met with a South African couple tonight for dinner.  A good taste of home :-)  She is going to be one of the students on the school so this is going to be fun!

 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.