Existing Member?

Take-Aways

Buddhism, meditation and my week in white pyjamas

THAILAND | Tuesday, 12 June 2007 | Views [981] | Comments [2]

I went to a meditation retreat for a whole week. It's a bit like committing your self to an institution....not that I would know. Wake up at 5 am and go to bed at 9pm, learning about meditation and Buddhism. Everyone walks around in what rapidly feels like slow motion, speaks in a low voice and wears nothing but white pyjamas. It would drive a sane person crazy. And yet, somehow, I feel that I have been given answers to important questions if not the key to some kind of very profound happiness. Not that it was all fun and games. We slept in tents, could have no meals after 12, no books to read, music or contact with the outside world. We had a pretty full day of what to the outsider can look very much like sitting around doing nothing. I have heard that in some retreats, participants are not allowed to speak to each other and should even avoid eye contact. I am sure there must be many people having conversations with the trees in those places. Ours at any rate was the “Middle way”. How can I convey what it really felt like? Day one was fun. Everything was new, unique, worth a try. Day two felt like prison camp. I wondered whether I would last the week. Day three everyone seemed mellower, more relaxed, at peace. Day four a pleasant routine had already set in. Day Five was sad, I was thinking that I would not want to go. Day Six was an endless drag and finally, on the last day we were all emotional and full of good intentions. Also, in my case at least, I could not wait to get back into town and dinner. Buddhism is a beautiful philosophy. I hate using the term religion to a teaching I experienced as a blue print for a good and rewarding life. The sessions with the monks did not go to waste. I have learnt that this is a philosophy of endeavour and a very empowering way of thinking. It gives man the keys to his own happiness. A philosophy that emphasises respect, interdependence, generosity and a constant pursuit of self-improvement. A philosophy that places the much needed art of meditation at its core. What is meditation? It is the art of standing still. It is the pause before a champion’s serve. It is fine tuning your instrument before you use it. It is the construction of your own core and your own private sphere. And it’s DAMN hard! It also smoothes the features of those who have cracked it. They walk around with unspeakable confidence and poise. I highly recommend it even if I have yet to practise it successfully. Somehow it feels like if you stick to it and try it, the reward is great. You will be the first to know if I get there.

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

See? No need to send you to my mother in law after all! :D

Are you still doing cooking classes? Where are you going next!?!? Ahhh... everything sounds so new and interesting!
Ive been reading a abook on buddhism lately and frankly I dont rhink its applicable
... Yes its filled with beautiful ideas and principles but they are actually IMPOSSIBLE to work with if you happen to live in the real world and have to live, work and survive...
And what gets to me most is the elitistic holier than thought view they have on people who live a real life, with real problems, thought in my opinion they are not better, on the contrary they are pussies in hiding too scared to come and face the real stuff!
Its easy to be all goody2shoes when refusing to face life...

  3rifily Jun 13, 2007 5:42 AM

2

I completely agree with comment number 1. I like the idea but you can keep all that meditation stuff for yourself, don't need to practice it in group with fancy clothes, orange bed sheets and shaved heads. Moreover, the principle of begging for food is just ... not in my philosophy. Try not to eat for a while and you will feel different and develop strange ideas. It's the first step of the brainwashing method of any religious sect. Creepy ! And for me, if you dig just a little there is something wrong in the whole concept!
Free your mind ... even from buddhism !

  sandra Jul 2, 2007 5:32 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.