Existing Member?

Take-Aways

Picking olives in Mystras

GREECE | Tuesday, 15 January 2008 | Views [3461] | Comments [14]

On the outskirts of Sparta is a gem that few people know exist. It is called Mystras. Mystras is a medieval castle, what used to be a very important kingdom in Byzantine times. It is hard to convey how perfect this place is. Nestled against the mountain of Taygetos with its natural and abundant springs and the snow capped tip, it has an endless view on a (pediada) of olive and orange trees. In spring, the smell of orange flower and jasmine makes you dizzy. In winter, everyone works on the olive trees. December to January is the time when the branches are heavy with fruit. Generous tree, you do not make us work under the August sun. And it is work. Hard work. Backbreaking work. Very satisfying work. You do not pick olives, you harvest them and the tree gets a rough deal. Its fullest branches are sawn off and the rest of it is beaten till the olives fall off on the big canvasses that are laid out on the ground. Then you have to sort out some of the leaves and branches that are mingled with the olives and put them in the bags. Between the beating, the sorting, the moving around with the canvasses, you are wiped out at the end of the day. But your hands smell of fresh olive oil and your mind is clear. Greece cannot exist without the olive. It flows in the country’s blood. There cannot be a meal without it. It’s magic. So bitter off the tree and yet so delicious in all its guises. At the press, the oil is tasted as if it where wine. Every picker’s vintage is assessed. What was the yield. Whether the frost was detrimental. Whether there were too many leaves and branches mixed in with the fruit. It is tasted with grilled bread, salt and wine or raki. The brothers that own and operate the press have pink cheeks and smiley faces. Rotund shepherds with a tinkle in their eye and their jokes. Mum is the boss of our little family production. In the field we all argued endlessly, telling each other how to do things right and yet by the end of the day of working together, you come closer, you have shared something and you are joyfully exhausted. Nothing tastes like olive oil that you have picked yourself. Nothing looks like it either. And somehow it is fitting that Christ prayed in an olive grove and rode on a donkey. All three are in this country’s DNA. All three are moving and all three all blessed.

Comments

1

Hello!
can you help us to search job to pick olives. we are two 17 years old girls from Estonia and we really want to do this job in summer:)
please write me in my email:)

Thank You.

  Katriin and Gloria May 27, 2008 12:09 AM

2

hello i`m looking for a job picking olives,i can start on 1 october. I`m from Romania and i have 23 years old,God help me find something

  John Sep 10, 2009 6:59 AM

3

hi,
great blog, I am also in desperate need of olive picking work in greece during november, i would really really appreciate it if you gave me some contact details.
kind regards,

jane

  jane Sep 22, 2009 2:29 AM

4

Hi!
Blog sounds great! I am also looking for work picking olives in Greece in November-December!
I, too, would greatly appreciate any contacts you might be able to give me that would help!

Thanks in advance,
Tessa

  Tessa Sep 29, 2009 2:41 AM

5

has anyone found olive picking jobs yet or even orange picking jobs in Greece this October or November

  james Oct 1, 2009 4:38 AM

6

I am also looking for work picking olives in Greece . I would really really appreciate it if you gave me some contact details.

  Sinisha Simic Nov 7, 2009 11:56 AM

7

..and surprise surprise - I am also looking for work picking olives in Greece :)
I would appreciate if you help me to search the job or gave me some contact details..

Thank You :)
ek01@hot.ee

  ek Nov 8, 2009 7:32 PM

8

Ye have a guess what im going to ask... ye im a 23 year old Irish bloke, and im looking for work picking olives in Greece. Some contact details would go a long way

Cheers
Terry

  Terry Sommerville May 19, 2010 10:43 AM

9

Hi everyone!i am looking for job like picking olives or picking oranges in Greece.I would be gratefull if you can help me finding work or give me contact details...
thanks very much

  mika Aug 30, 2010 6:59 PM

10

Hello!
I see many have posted here looking for jobs harvesting olives. Anyone find anything of get any responses? My boyfriend and I are both looking for jobs for the season and are in Athens now. We are both fit people and are looking for ways to gain new experiences as well as earn a bit of money as we travel.
Thanks!

  Theresa Nov 1, 2010 7:37 PM

11

I am looking for work olive harvesting this winter.
Some contact details would be of great help for this seasons harvest.

  Gary shipp Mar 17, 2011 8:45 PM

12

I am also looking for work picking olives in Greece . I can provide you many workers as you need . I would really really appreciate it if you gave me some contact details or make me a contact with olives plantages owners who need workers . thanks in advance .
Ivica Aleks

Sinisha Simic Nov 7, 2009 11:56 AM

  IVICA ALEKSOVSKI Sep 20, 2011 6:00 AM

13

Hello everyone.I`m also looking for work - picking olives in Greece and if you can help me with some information or contacts of farms ,that would be great. Thanks to all of you
Viktoriya Angelova

  vikito_vn Nov 16, 2011 6:20 PM

14

Hello
im Sasho From Bulgaria and i will appreciate if somebody can give me any tip for picking olives or anything else for the months of december, january and february.
I really need to work.
thank you very much

  Sasho Dec 3, 2012 5:43 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.