Existing Member?

Take-Aways

Our home in Beijing

CHINA | Friday, 16 May 2008 | Views [756] | Comments [1]

We found it. Forget the lavish apartments, the fancy penthouse, the 160 square metre complex. Our residence is going to be a tiny little hutong. A traditional Chinese courtyard. Our neighbours are a lovely old temple, Tian An Men and unbelievably the Forbidden City itself.

It took 4 days to stumble across it. Four days of agents, viewings, comparisons, making and receiving calls. At one point we even had 2 different agents take us to the same place and the owner pretending he had never seen us before – probably having violated some sort of exclusivity agreement and ducking around it.

The Beijinger online proved invaluable. It’s even been at the source of a lovely tea tasting afternoon today…but that is another story.

Hutongs are the traditional old neighbourhoods and houses structured around a courtyard where one or more families live. They tend to be badly heated, inconvenient, with some layouts requiring you to cross the open aired courtyard to go from the bedroom to the bathroom and the living room to the kitchen. They were the old houses of the people of rank and nobility that had the privilege of being allowed to live near the Emperor’s home. They are exclusive to central Beijing and until recently they were being torn down at rapid rates. It seems though that their value is rediscovered and to rent one costs as much if not more than a super flat in the new developments.

Still, our home is going to be a hutong. One little gem with a garret and a skylight, small but with modern conveniences. A doll’s house.

And tomorrow is the ritual of the tenancy agreement signing. Three more weeks until we move in. Till then, might as well enjoy the 4-star hotel.

Comments

1

Ou sont les pho-toooos ? Je veux voir le hutong !

  Sandra Jun 5, 2008 5:14 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.