Existing Member?

6 Months, 15 Countries, 2 Parents and 1 Two year old Look what we're up to this week!!!

British Virgin Islands

USA | Tuesday, 14 May 2013 | Views [851] | Comments [1]

Jost Van Dyke

Jost Van Dyke

We flew into St. Thomas, which is actually part of the US Virgin Islands, staying only long enough to catch the quickest ferry to Tortola, the first of several BVIs we visited. Had our first (few) painkillers (the local cocktail) and checked out our four-cabin catamaran. The next morning we set sail with Warren as our captain.  Calm seas and the most amazingly blue-green water you can imagine. Every time you look up it's more beautiful than the last!
We moored up in Jost Van Dyke and visited the famous Soggy Dollar Bar (where I ate one of my favorite Caribbean foods - chicken Roti - no bones). Had dinner at Foxy's and danced the night away, partially with a man whose dreds were so long they touched the floor. Somewhere during the night we tacked up an article of clothing to the beams, which all visitors seem to do as payment for the great night.
Snorkeled at Great Dog Island, where we saw a barracuda and a huge school of blue fish feeding on the corral. Not the best snorkeling in the world, but still very fun. By mid-day we really got the sails going on our way out to Virgin Gorda. Stayed overnight and through the next day in Gorda Sound, having dinner at the Fat Virgin Cafe, toes in the sand overlooking the water. Our neighbors included the Maltese Falcon, the third largest sailing yacht in the world.  
Day four we went over to the other side of Virgin Gorda to The Baths - amazing rock formations with gigantic boulders making mazes to walk through down to pristine beaches. The Cathedral is one of those natural wonders where people get married just for the pictures. Swam and climbed for a few relaxing hours exploring until we headed out again to Norman Island. Went down for a 40 foot scuba dive around The Indians, viewing beautiful fan coral and other coral walls full of fish.  Snorkeled some more around the island and into a cave before heading back to Jost Van Dyke.
Round two at Foxy's started out with a wonderful BBQ dinner.  We couldn't find a mooring ball earlier, so had dropped anchor for the night just out past the other boats. Half our party had returned to the boat early, to quickly struggle with a dislodged anchor while our captain, Chris and I danced the night away, waiting for a lull in the rain.  As we returned to the dock, we caught sight of our boat, way too close to shore and rushed back in the dingy to relieve the quite anxious others. Made for a stressful night for Warren, but also for a great story to tell of the last night of our BVI trip.
We loved the relaxation and great company on this first leg of our journey, and are so thankful for our friends Marissa and Warren who planned this amazing sail trip.
Back to Seattle to visit with family, pick up Jackson and enjoy Mother's day with both our moms.  Last week of preparation and then off for six months - first stop Nicaragua.



Sounds like heaven

  Johnny Law May 15, 2013 2:27 AM

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.



Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.