Existing Member?

India

The Gateway to Mecca

INDIA | Thursday, 29 December 2011 | Views [1028]

Palm Trees, Khambatt

Palm Trees, Khambatt

I’ve known that my dad’s family had lived in Khambatt for a long time, but I only discovered its historical secrets on this trip. Khambatt or Cambay as it was called by the colonials was an important trading port until the 1900s. Ships carrying cotton, spices and other goods used to leave from the Bay of Cambay to the Middle East and lands beyond. The sea went out in the 1900s and with it went the trade ships as well. The swaying palm trees welcome you into the Bay of Cambay as you approach the village. There’s something quite magical about this place.

    

Both photos above were taken from the top of the Jumma Masjid in the village of Khambatt. In the first one, the empty land beyond the buildings is apparently where the first cricket match in the world was played! The archway on the right is what was known as the ‘Gateway to Mecca’. It is here that muslims came from all over India to make the pilgrimage to Mecca. The Shah Jahan himself apparently started his journey here. The Jumma Masjid was built by the Nawabs of Cambay and it is probably one of the most beautifully preserved relics I’ve seen so far in India. The intricate engravings on the pillars are still exquisite as are the tombs of the Mughal King and Queen who built the Masjid. We were the only visitors in the Masjid (quite the norm) and it was lovely and peaceful to walk around. I’d been to a number of historical sites in Rajasthan a few weeks before, all swamped by the masses, and I have to say this was by far my favourite.

About cb


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.