Existing Member?

Shabadoo and wifelette down under

Movies Redux

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 22 October 2008 | Views [596] | Comments [2]

Just because I've got nothing better to do, and I'm waiting for Cat to finish her part of the journal, here's a quick list of the movies we've seen on the road. Yeah, I'm that sad:

Run, Fatboy, Run (got in free, but it was still mediocre)

Juno (good stuff)

Vantage Point (stupid, convoluted, dumbest ending ever?)

Grindhouse (one good movie, one bad, best cinema experience ever)

Iron Man (a pleasant surprise, not too bad at all)

Indiana Jones 4 (fecal matter. Absolute fecal matter. Lucas, if I ever see you in public, I will beat you down. Where to begin? The gophers? Hiding in a fridge from a nuke? Aliens? Ray Winstone playing the Cockney wanker no one ever wanted to see in a movie? THE MONKEYS? The chuffing monkeys, Lucas? I curse your very soul, you bearded moron.)

Sex and the City (the longest movie ever made, and possibly the most unnecessary. Except for Indiana Jones 4 - you still reading Lucas? I keeeeeel you).

The Incredible Hulk (standard stuff, quite dull)

Hancock (half a good film; total bollocks in the second half)

Kung Fu Panda (fluffy fun, usual moralising kiddie stuff, overrated; mental note, never go to see kids movie at 10am on a Saturday morning).

The Dark Knight (long, but so good you want to put it in a dress and take it to meet your parents)

Wanted (dumb as a stick, and twice as fun)

Pineapple Express (could have been much better, still had some good stuff)

Be Kind Rewind (is there anyone out there who still finds Jack Black funny? He's okay reading off a script, but that ad lib stuff is like pulling teeth. This film desperately needed a script, and some sort of heavy object to fall on Jack Black)

Tropic Thunder (patchy, but hilarious in the good patches. Succeeds on the Jack Black front by having him not talk very much. Robert Downey Jr is clearly God)

In Bruges (excellent, a real tonic for the crap we've been watching this year. And a decent Spurs joke too)

The Counterfeiters (watched in an outdoor cinema next to the ocean. Good but not great film, still well worth a watch)

Hellboy 2 (just as average as Hellboy 1, and we had the curse of the crappy sound system to boot. Please stop these films Guillermo, and go do something decent)

Wall-E (really excellent - go see it, one of the greatest rom coms ever, and not a Kate Hudson in sight)

Eagle Eye (total and utter gubbins. The end of your movie should have more thrills than "Windows is shutting down....it is now safe to turn off your computer", especially when it's this stupid)

Babylon AD (the most extraordinary mess in cinematic history. Welcome, if you dare, to the end of Vin Diesel's career. The ending has to be seen to be believed - what sort of nutter, other than a Frenchman, could end a post-apocalyptic tale with Vin Diesel standing in front of some sort of Swiss chalet wearing comfortable slacks and smiling like he's been heavily dosed with a date-rape drug? Watch this solely for the moment of utter confusion on your face when the credits roll)

Body of Lies (so very average...are any big names directors trying anymore?)

Burn After Reading (cruel and pretty funny, though again they seem to have had a problem finishing it. Plus it made Cat very unhappy - don't kill off the nice guys)

Yeah, it's big dumb stuff for the most part, it's just the time of year. I'll update it when we see more stuff. Uh huh, I can hear breathe being held across the globe.

Screw you, Lucas, I haven't forgotten you.

Comments

1

love it love it love it

  melissad Aug 19, 2008 9:26 AM

2

Mmmmmmmmmmmm. Don't think I will print this off for Nanna and her hairdressing club.

  Ma Aug 19, 2008 10:06 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.