Existing Member?

Burrellian's Travels Life is just so good, once you decide to start living it !!!

PARIS

FRANCE | Saturday, 22 December 2007 | Views [869] | Comments [8]

Day 1 - Well it would have been if I'd caught the flight I'd booked from London to Paris. Got to the airport in plenty of time, just under 2 hours before the the flight, but once there hit a wall of humanity that just wasn't moving..... I took my place in the check in Q & waited, 1 hour.... 90 Mins still only halfway to the counter.... this is not good.... if I leave my place in the line to enquire, I'd have to stqrt again, surely they'll call my flight soon.... 

well they did & I wasn't on it, this is so stupid. Left my spot in the line & into another one for the airline counter, after another agonising 40 mins I find out there's no more flights till tomorrow & they will charge a transfer fee of 35 pounds, the flight only cost 60 ! On top of that, of course, would have been another nights accomodation probably  another 50 + pounds. There had to be another way....

Got online & found it, Coach to Paris leaving in 2 hours for 41 pounds, that will do, so hot footed it to Victoriq Bus terminal. Made it onto the bus with time to spare & once again on was on my way to Paris.

It was a long trip around 9 hours, but this was broken up by the Channel crossing, on the Pride of Canterberry Ferry. Massive boat & I was able to stretch my legs for an hour or so. The ferry left from Dover, so I got to see the white cliffs, all be it at 1.00 in the morning.

Day 2 - Sunrise found me waking up in Paris Traffic, almost at the coach terninal. Once there (7.00am) took a few mins to work out the Metro & where I had to go. Was pretty tired so took me a bit longer than normal. Arrived at the Hotel around 8.30, after a knock on room 44 a sleepy eyed Tarena, greets me with a "hey, what happened to you, thought you were arriving last night ?" I considered crashing for a few hours, but the day was looking so sunny & inviting that I couldn't do it, too excited to be in Paris ! Terena suggested we take the free walking tour, which sounded like a good way of orientating my self with this big city. Turned out to be really good & have now worked out how the Metro works as well, it's not as well laid out as London but it's ok. After a lovely dinner & a sharing of travel stories we hit the hay.

Day 3 - Got an earlyish start, then hit the Louvre with avengence, this place is massive !! If I hadn't seen so much art in the world already I'd swear it was all here ! I lost Tarena after only about 30 mins, we hadn't set a meeting point so was a little concerned I'd not see her again, at least untill we got back to the Hotel. Ran into her a few hours later in the Egypt section which was incredibly lucky ! Got to the Tower just before sunset which was cool. Another big day planned tomorrow so had a reasonably early one.

Day 4 - Woke with a sore throat & the sniffles, you'd think I'd learnt by now not to push myself so hard. Oh well, went to the the Arc de Triomphe, took some great photos, but started getting the shivers. Left Tarena to explore the long list of galleries & attractions we'd planned & headed back to bed. Slept most of the day away, but managed to drag myself out of bed to have some dinner, but couldn't join Tamerna on the planned pub crawl, would have put me back in bed for another few days I reckon. Had a good night sleep though I was a bit concerned for my friend when she still wasn't back after 2.00am (when the Metro stops for the night).

Day 5 - She ended up gettting in as the sun was rising & I haven't really talked with her since. I'm feeling great again so headed over to Notre Dame. Tarena was still in bed & feeling a little under the weather when I left to do this update around 3.00pm. Hope she feels Ok for our planned outing to the Moulin Rouge tonight ? Making plans to head to Innsbruck, Austria to go skiing on christmas day, the train leaves at 8.30am & arrives, via Zurich, around 5.30. 

Made it to Moulin Rouge, so glad I did what a great show ! understood about 20% of the words but everzthing was sung/said with such passion that it really didn't matter. At one stage during the show (during a set change) they had a guy up doing a ventrilaquisem act (no idea how to spell that - lol) he entered the crowd & picked 4 people, guess who found himself on the stage at the Moulin Rouge..... he instructed us when he queezed our hand to open & close our mouths, was very funny & great to be involved. No photos allowed in the place, which is a shame, but what an experience !

Tags: Adventures

 

Comments

1

Hey,
you've been a bit quiet on the blog thing lately. At the moment there is just a tittle for Paris. (maybe your typing it as i type) Looks like you really taking in the sites. What are your plans between now and the 26th?
I'm home for next week so i'll keep checking the blog and Bobby will call from Munich when your there.
Cheers Steve

  Steve Dec 22, 2007 10:13 AM

2

Paris didn't get many words, but it did get *27* pictures! Looking forward to seeing them - I'll look now.

  bc Dec 22, 2007 9:32 PM

3

Hi ya mate, so glad to see you made it to paris it is a great city to be in & if you get time go and make the trip to see Monet garden.

cheers Rod

  Rodney g Dec 22, 2007 9:35 PM

4

Good to see clear weather in paris, looks cold though, perhaps you will have a white Christmas. Hope your pre-booked hotel is good value.
Love Mum and Dad.

  Mum and Dad Dec 22, 2007 10:49 PM

5

Bad experience trying to get to Paris but you got through it OK, your internet knowledge certainly helped. Looking forward to more sights and scenes of Paris and other trips in the next couple of days before you go to Munich.
Love Mum and Dad.

  Mum and Dad Dec 23, 2007 10:26 PM

6

Glad you finally got to Paris. hope you have a wonderful Christmas. Let us know all about it.

Looking forward to the next few entries.

Cheers
Fi

  Fiona Churchward Dec 23, 2007 10:43 PM

7

Eh bro just back from across the ditch (NZ) on Saturday afternoon and have now caught up on your travels, it all sounds great and exciting. We all had a sweat time, lots of tourists and Aussies over there as well. All the best for Christmas we are all thinking of you while you have a colder Christmas than us. If the Sydney Cole's do not save you any of Nanna's Christmas pudding we will.

Christmas Cheers

Stephen, Denise, Rob and Damo

  Brisbane Cole Family Dec 24, 2007 10:56 AM

8

Christmas eve here, weather cool, off to Brian and Amanda's for lunch tomorrow. Hope whatever you have planned for tomorrow goes well and you and Tarena keep well. Have a very happy Christmas day and we look forward to seeing you at the end of 2007.
Love Mum and Dad.

  Mum and Dad Dec 24, 2007 10:19 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.