Existing Member?

Burrellian's Travels Life is just so good, once you decide to start living it !!!

Austria - Innsbruck - Merry Christmas !

AUSTRIA | Monday, 24 December 2007 | Views [1186] | Comments [8]

Day 1 - Another full day of travel ahead, but very excited to be heading into the alps for a White Christmas :-) Said a quick farewell to Tarena, who is heading back to the UK for Xmas with some friends. I've really enjoyed having her company for these days in Paris & we've promised to keep in touch. She will always be welcome "in the guest room" of Burrellian Manor. I might not have found "love" in Paris but I centainly fell in love with Paris.

The scenery on the way was beautiful, was nice to see some French country side, even though it was rather foggy. It turned out to be a wise move to train it to Austria, as I found, out through other annoyed passengers, that lots of flights around Europe had been cancelled or delayed. As the really comfy train headed into the Alps the scenery changed dramaticly, the mountains rose seemingly out of no where & as we passed through a long tunnel at one stage the world suddenly turned white. Ohh Yeah ! this is what I came here for, snowcovered mountains, deep rocky gorges with raging rivers, cute little villages & fields of white. I was in awe of the beauty, once again, that I have seen on this trip.

Met an older American couple on the train after the change in Zurich, coldest station in the world so far, & they suggested a nice 500 year old hotel, that they had stayed in before when in Innsbruck. Arrived & checked in as they had a few vacancies left. Innsbruck looks lovely but it was dark when I arrived so can't tell you much. Made some plans after speaking with a few more people, to head to Stubaier Gletsher for some skiing tomorrow (link: http://www.ski-innsbruck.at/panorama.php)

Should be a Christmas day like no other I've ever had !

Merry Christmas to all my family, my life long friends & the multitude of new ones I've recently made.  Love & Cheers, Andrew :-)

Day 2 - Christmas Day - Headed out just before 9.00 & caught the bus up to the the top of the world. As we made our way up, up & up the snow got thicker & thicker the surrounding mountains higher & higher, the scenery more breathtaking, literaly, as I was going higher than I´d ever been before, after each tunnel or bend in the road. Tiny little mountain villages speckled the countryside & real Christmas tress heavily laden with snow were everywhere. We made it to the top & left the warmth of the coach, WOW - both amazing & incredibly cold, about -10. Checked in at the ski school, hired my gear & was on the slopes, snow ploughing & making turns within the hour, my instructor was rather impressed :-) Had a spot of lunch & headed out to tackle the slopes on my own. Bit off more than I could chew when I headed up on the chairlift, so took a few photos & headed back down for some more realistic practice. Was all over way to quickly & caught the last bus of the day back to Innsbruck.

Met up with some fellow travellers, staying at the same hotel, that I had chatted to yesterdaz & headed out to have Christmas dinner with them. It was a good hearty Austrian feeast & the company was excellent. Finnished the evening with some gingerbread, chocolates & wine back at the Hotel.

Day 3 - After a great sleep had breakfast

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Mr Dude
Hope u have a very merry christmas and have a great day skiing. Had a nice morning with family and off to sandy's this arvo for a few. Am still watching with awe at your holiday.
Be well.
Chris.

  chris Dec 25, 2007 1:49 PM

2

Hey,
MERRY CHRISTMAS !!
Just had a great read of what you've been up too. (Sounds amaizing !)
We've had a great morning with family at home, took Connor for a ride on his new Suzuki DS 80 before lunch. Just finished a massive lunch of every kind of roast known to man kind and now tucking into a nice Rutherglen Merlot.
Sending you good vibes ! hope your day is a ripper !
Steve & Sarah

  The McAlpines Dec 25, 2007 4:42 PM

3

MERRY XMAS Andrew,

i did not get the chance to read your adventure for the last few days and was laying in bed thinking this morning about the wonderful things you have seen and done. I envy what you are doing and hope that one day i have the courage to do the same.

take care
always lynley

  lynley andrews Dec 25, 2007 5:16 PM

4

Merry Christmas bro'!
Sounds like an amazing place - have a great day!

Had a good day here; four kinds of meat, and some veges and salad. Lots of people and fun. You've been here before (and will again), so you know the drill - enjoy your very different Christmas - looking forward to the story when you get back.

  bc Dec 25, 2007 9:43 PM

5

Merry Christmas My friend.

Hope you have a great Christmas. Wish I was there to enjoy it with you. I have always wanted a white Christmas. Oh well it will have to be next year now won't it.

Have an eggnog for me.
Fi

  Fiona Churchward Dec 25, 2007 10:26 PM

6

Surprised again to read of another side trip, this time to Austria for Christmas Day skiing, did you show them the downhill Aussie style? Our Christmas Day is over. Brian and Amanda and family looked after us well at their place. Thanks for your Christmas greetings, take care.
Love Mum and Dad.

  Mum and Dad Dec 25, 2007 10:30 PM

7

What a great day you had. Really good to read and enjoy your experiences with you, almost feel we are actually there with you. Very wise not to do too much at that altitude.

  Mum and dad Dec 26, 2007 8:49 PM

8

Belated Merry Christmas my friend, we had a peaceful day......spent the morning at my Aunts place with family, then went and spent the rest of the day with.......you guessed it! The UNdead ;D
it was actually ok this year......next year we get to stay here YAY! NOT I wanna be there!
hugs
L
p.s. have you met Heidi yet? ;D

  Little Pagan Dec 27, 2007 11:14 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.