Existing Member?

Burrellian's Travels Life is just so good, once you decide to start living it !!!

LONDON

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 16 December 2007 | Views [804] | Comments [7]

Ben with Bus

Ben with Bus

Ended up taking a plane from Brussels to London city airport, hard to believe, a flight was cheaper than a train, it was a very small plane (Focker 50, if interested), then the underground to South Kensington, where the Hostel is. On my way to check in now :-)

The London Chapter begins...... found the hostel fine, headed out pretty much straight away for an explore, quite excited to be here, I hadn't really planned on coming to the UK this trip, but I'm so happy I did !

Took some night shots around town. Planning on a walking tour of the city tomorrow morning, if I get up in time.....

Day 2 - Feet a bit sore today so decided to catch the Tube to St Pauls for an easy day looking around.... Turned out not to be such an easy day on my poor feet.

I noticed on the city map that Kensington Gardens were quite close to my Hostel so decided to take a morning strole through the park & catch the Underground from the other side (Lancaster Gate). It was a lovely park & I even saw a couple of Squirels ! So cute. I've got this Tube thing sussed, so made it to St Pauls with no trouble.

Amazing place, 2nd largest Dome in the world, I'm told St Peter's in Rome is the biggest. Walked around for quite a while in awe of the multitude of paintings, sculptures & mosaic covered ceilings & floors. A shame they didn't allow photos or video, but I listened in on a few of the guides talking as I walked around & learnt quite a bit about the history of the place.

Then I saw the sign.... stairs to the top..... god I'm so sick of stairs... well I'm here now, might as well. So up I went. Over 440 steps later I was rewarded with incredible views of London. Even though the day had turned cloudy & bloody cold, I revelled in the fact that I was on top of St Pauls Cathedral in London, how cool !

As it was so cold I made my way back to the Hostel, then into an internet cafe where I am now. Going out for a nice hot Curry tonight, then an early night before heading too ? maybe Stonehenge tomorrow. Stay tuned....

I've decided I need a night in a hotel for my last night in London tomorrow so had a walk around the area & found one for q reasonale price, keen to hqve q night to myself & get a good night sleep before meeting Tarena in Paris the day after tomorrow.

Day 3 - Found a great tour to go on today, Windsor Castle, Stonehenge & Bath, all in one packed day. And what a great day it turned out to be !

It was a very wise choice to get a Hotel room for after this day, it was pretty exhausting, got back around 8.00pm & had an excellent Idian meal with a lovely English girl, Helen, she's a professional nanny, between flats atm, so she was staying in the Hostel for a few weeks untill somthing decent turned up on the Market, which is where we met. Really enjoyed her company, before a good nights sleep, heading to Paris tomorrow !! Woo Hoo !!

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

You jetseter !
Glad to see you having the time of your life. I'll talk to you when your at Bobby's.
Cheers

  Steve Dec 17, 2007 4:24 PM

2

Surprised to see you're in London, plenty to see there until you go to Paris on 19th. If operating, the red open top bus is a great way to get your bearing around London, your walking tour will no doubt help with that as well. Look forward to more good photos if weather OK.
Love Mum and Dad.

  Mum and Dad Dec 17, 2007 9:52 PM

3

Have climbed to the top of St.Pauls and was amazed at the steps and passages with the dome. Hope you enjoyed your curry, Indian?
Love Mum and Dad.

  Mum and Dad Dec 18, 2007 10:52 PM

4

Hi Andrew,

Wow I'm as surprised as your mum and dad that you decided to go to London. But that's what this trip is all about going on a whim and going where the wind takes you. Now that sounds like a line out of a song. If it hasn't been used yet I'll give you full rein to use it.

You will love Stonehenge. Now that would be a great setting for Magic. Especially if you could of been there for the summer solstice. Druids have a ritual there every year at that time.

Well enjoy
Fi

  Fiona Churchward Dec 19, 2007 8:38 PM

5

Great photos at Windsor, Bath and Stonehenge. Light is very subtle in winter and really brings out the stone colours of the buildings. Expect you were overdressed in the baths. So much history in UK. SBS weather tonight predicted "crisp clear weather in London and Paris".
Love Mum and Dad.

  Mum and Dad Dec 19, 2007 10:03 PM

6

Hi mate. London, England, looks great!
And it looks like the weather has been amazing, but of course the photos might not be representative ...
Great to hear from you most days .. keep writing.

  bc Dec 21, 2007 7:46 AM

7

Gday mate , sounds like your having the time of your life and your really taking in the world experience
all the best rodney

  Rodney G Dec 22, 2007 10:31 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.