Existing Member?

B on the move...

panama

PANAMA | Monday, 30 June 2008 | Views [621]

ok, so i had to finally leave Tres Piedras....i was just getting sucked into a warp there...not in a bad way, i lost my watch surfing and it got to the point where i didn´t know what day it was or what time it was in that day...which is a great feeling, and i recommend it if you have never tryed it...just being free from the clock and got to do this at this time and that at that time....i got some good reading in....thanks king for Ishmeal, it´s a great book and i recommend it for everyone...it had a lot of what i was already thinking about in it but it ties everything together really nicely....for those of you camp high trailers, it´s like a deep philosophical book about OH DEER or my perferred name GO GETTER....anyways, my last days there where filled with finishing the tiki hut, finishing my papers for my class and rafting down the river that goes by the property...it was funny, me and jairo took two of the local kids whitewater rafting on a little janky raft that was never intended to be used for whitewater rafting and it was not intended to have four people in it either, and on top of that it had about a million holes in it...so jairo patched them up with cut pieces of a bike tire and glue...needless to say we had to stop about four times to keep pumping it back up and it was sagging so much from the weight that i banged the crap out of my butt and feet on rocks....but it was fun...

the keith sisters from y-town came to costa rica and emailed me...so i met up with them in dominical last monday and tuesday night....i was not expecting to run into any franklin county in central america, small world...we went out and had a good time, although i was having the greatest day ever surfing some costa rican waves and chillin on the beach on tuesday but after lunch i felt really bad....i don´t know what it was, too much sun, not enough water, or a combination of it all  but i was out of it for a couple of days...

i got to panama on thursday....i got to say, being totally alone going to new places and not really knowing the language has been one of the scariest, yet exciting things i have ever done....crossing the boarder was crazy and if it wasn´t for this young kid who helped me i don´t know if i would have known where to go...

i´ve noticed panama is different in a few ways so far...some of the women wear more traditional clothes, it´s like a really colorful dress...i haven´t figured out why only some yet though, i think it´s the more native people...in panama they use the balboa as their currency...the us dollar...but it´s werid because they make some of their own coins which are exactly like the us coins except different pictures and stuff on them...but it is nice to be using us money again so i don´t have to do exchange rates in my head and stuff...and the COFFEE is amazing and only like fifty cents a cup...beer is a lot cheaper here too...anywhere between 50 cents to a dollar at some bars...

i got into boquete, panama thurday night after traveling all day...it´s a really cool little mountain community...i have met so many cool people at the hostal i´ve been staying at...and i´ve been exposed to about five or six different languages while i´ve been here...i feel at such a disadvantage and i wish i knew more...this one swis girl spoke six languages...amazing and impressive...i even ran into this guy from brazil that i worked with in 2005 at summit mountain in big bear...small world...it´s crazy and he has been hitchhiking across the states and down through mexico and over to cuba and then back to costa rica and now is continueing hitchhiking south and plans to go all the way to the bottom tip of south america....crazy and awesome at the same time...yesterday i went to the hot springs that are in the local area and it was really cool because they are right on a river, so you can jump in the river to cool off, back to the hot spring, back to the river, etc etc etc....today i went rock climbing with this local i met and had a blast...the rock is really weird...but the climbing is a lot like new jack city in california...lots of jugs....this afternoon i watched the eurocup final with these guys from israel and a guy for england...it was pretty cool and finally learned some soccer or futball rules...i´m heading down to panama city tomarrow so it will be a full day of traveling...peace out....

About bthall


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Panama

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.