Existing Member?

B on the move...

still is tres peadras

COSTA RICA | Saturday, 21 June 2008 | Views [615]

So is it possible to keep having the BEST DAY EVER over and over again? I'm starting to feel like I'm living the life of josh nease, for those of you who know who he is will appreciate that anology...anyways, last sat. I went to the local rodeo and dance in san juan... and it was fricking awesome...the rodeo itself was great and very entertaining...then afterwords i drank a lot of imperials and tried my best to keep up with the ticas dancing...we all danced traditional dances at first and when i say all, i mean all...old people, young people, and kids...it was a blast...then later on the young people took over and started the standard bump and grid dancing of america...but more middle school style than what is seen up in rumers in greenville...then when we got back later that night some of us went for a midnight swim at the swimming hole... the rest of the group left on monday, on their way out they dropped me off in San Isidro...and i got a really check very quickly...the first thing i did was try to mail Jason a birthday gift home...well, that didn't go over so well at the post officie with my lack of spanish...so, i went to the town square to hang out and make some phone calls...while there i met this guy who spoke english and offered to help me mail the package...we went and got a box and some type and then to the post officie...it was really nice and i felt obligated to return the favor so i bought him lunch and a beer...then i ditched him and continued my day in the city...i went to the market and caught the bus back up to san juan where mary and jiaro picked me up and took me back to tfi.... i must say...being completely immersed in a different culture while not speaking the language is bar none the most difficult, frustrating, and yet rewarding thing that i have ever done...since the other gringos left (my professors and other classmates) my spanish has improved a million times and then some...i am picking up more and more everyday...it's awesome...and i know i sound really dumb, kind of like the cookie monster...."COOKIE, GIVE ME COOKIE...." and thats about the extent of my vocab...haha... Anyways, with that said...this week has been amazing....the other night the main grandmother of the local community (cause everyone is related to everyone in some way or another) had a birthday and i went to the party...it was great, even though i could not speak much with them just observing was a blast....for those of you who just left...i don't know what flood was talking about cause the local food is slap your mama good...later on, one of the grandchildern (i think) put the cake into the grandmas face and then one of the other girl relatives held her while the grandma got her back and then the two younger ones started wrestling and getting each other with cake right in the living room...it was halarious... during the days i have been helping the guys on the proportity build a table and a tiki hut, called a rancheo....i've learned a lot of spanish just working with them during the days...and one things for sure, no matter rather there is a language barrior or not...guys will find a way to communicate about girls...it's great cause it's like the only thing we can understand each other about....haha.... yesterday was great...i went with mary, the site director, to the local school...she teaches english there once a week....i got to help her teach numbers to the kids...they went over 1-20 the previous week and we went over 20-100 this week...it was great cause i helped them say it in english and they would help me with spanish...i don't know how the teacher there does it...she has about 23 or so kids, grades 1-6 in the same classroom at the same time...it's actually pretty impressive and amazing that she can facilitate the different lessons at the same time....i had sooo much fun at the school and playing with the rug rats during recess....maybe i should just stay down here and become a teacher at a small school....hum.... later for now....

About bthall


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.