Existing Member?

No Mas

Anchoring Out

MEXICO | Friday, 13 April 2007 | Views [1466]

Today is Saturday, March 24, 2007, & we’re at Marina San Carlos. I can’t help but be discouraged after spending 3 or 4 hours day before yesterday updating our blog only to have it go…somewhere in the ether. The internet service, to which we subscribe, is so intermittent & spotty that I suppose I should have known better. Despite criticism from all of us here in the marina, there are many who also use this service & personal visits to boats by the staff, XPro definitely is not my first choice; the other options are going to Barracuda Bob’s or an Internet Café…all pleasant but I would need to take my maps, charts, binders, etc. as I have a specific way I’d like to enter our last trip.

So I’ve decided to post to blog by entering first in Word, then copy & past into it. I’ve done this in the past &, as Rich points out, I have a copy in the

computer.

Here’s an overview of our trip:

We buddy-boated with Walt & Linda Wilson who are from Bay Center WA. They are sailing a Watkins 25 with their dog, Jack, a rat terrier. Walt has sailed all over the world; he is a wonderful teacher & mentor with a wealth of knowledge matched only by his patience. Linda is an RN who works at a nursing facility near Bay Center. They are wonderful people. We really enjoyed being with them & learning from them.

SAN CARLOS TO ENSANADA SAN PEDRO: Excellent anchorage; 15 miles from San Carlos; sandy bottom

Departed Marina San Carlos 7 a.m. Wednesday, March 14th

Winds out of the NE. We sailed on a beam reach from San Carlos to the southern end of San Pedro Island. Wonderful sailing; cooked along at 4.5 – 5 knots, heeling nicely. We sailed into a small pod of whales; we were so close we could see their eyes as they came up to breathe, hear the “PHHHHHFFFFTTT!” as they blew & feel the spray. They swam with us & between us for some distance then just slowly headed for the coast. We’ve never been that close to whales. Other people tell us that they frequent these waters at this time of year.

San Pedro Island is 17 miles from San Carlos; it is steep to, not an anchorage. We changed tack at the island & sailed directly into San Pedro Bay. It’s a rather large bay & can accommodate quite a few boats. There were already 2 boats there & another came in later in the day. The beach is stony & steep; the shelling is excellent.

We stayed here 2 nights, leaving early Friday, March 16th.

ENSANADA SAN PEDRO TO CALETA VENECIA: Excellent anchorage; 21 miles from San Carlos, sandy bottom

Departed San Pedro 8 a.m. Friday, March 16th

No sailing today! Motored the whole way into this small anchorage with a large stony beach ahead & a small beach to port as you head in. Lovely little bay, quite protected with Ensenada Chica, a fishing port, just over the hill in another bay. We chose to anchor here not wanting to worry over much about our dinks &/or motors disappearing overnight.

I went for a swim; it was a chilling experience even for me! The water at this time of year is invigorating – one could even say quite cold. I washed off the algae that had grown on the bottom sides of the boat, mainly to keep warm since I was already in the water & had to do something.

We stayed here 1 night, leaving early Friday, March 17th.

CALETA VENECIA TO ENSENADA LAS COCINAS: Excellent anchorage; 27 miles from San Carlos; sandy bottom

Departed C. Venecia 8 a.m. Saturday, March 17th

St. Patrick’s Day! It certainly brought back memories of Dad & other St. Patrick’s Days. This was one of his favorite “holidays”; we always had the obligatory corned beef, cabbage, onions, potatoes & carrots.

Las Cocinas was more what I had expected from Mexico: The water was about 12’ deep with a wonderful sandy bottom. The beach was white sand & not at all rocky or steep. The water was aquamarine. Lovely! I went for a long swim. The water was warmer than C. Venecia; perhaps because it was so shallow.

But the insect in this paradisiacal ointment were the bees/hornets! They came visiting in the afternoon; they appeared to be after water or anything sweet. We had a beach potluck that night to which these intruders invited themselves & were truly pesky.

Las Cocinas appeared to be a popular beach for people from the large city of Hermosillo. There were probably 5 families either picnicking or camping the day we were there. They were almost all extended families from kids to grandparents & were very friendly & welcoming.

We stayed there 1 night & decided that we’d better head back to the marina as we were pretty sure our water supplies were running low. We had a third of a 2-gallon sun shower, a full 3-gallon jerry can & what was left in our on-board bladder tank which was difficult to determine how much water was in it.

Walt & Linda had decided to go up to the Midriff Islands & then across to northern Baja so we were on our own from then on.

ENSANADA LAS COCINAS TO CALETA VENECIA: 6 miles

Departed 9 a.m. Sunday, March 18th

We came around the headland that encloses Las Cocinas from the open sea to be confronted with rough seas & wind out of the SE. In retrospect, we probably should have turned right around & gone back into Las Cocinas but we pressed on.

The seas & wind kept building; we don’t have an anemometer onboard so don’t really know what the wind speed was (maybe that was a good thing…); the seas we estimate at 3 – 4’, choppy & close together. This was not fun. Obviously, we motored. The SE wind decreased our speed substantially to about 2 mph. We were bouncing, wallowing, pitching, & cold with spray coming over the bow.

This was challenging stuff made more so by our navigating by dead reckoning using Gerry Cunningham’s “Cruising Guide to San Carlos on the Sea of Cortez”. This is a wonderful guide stuffed with vital information, pictures, & photographs of the area. We could not have done this trip back without it. It is not easy to pick out landmarks when you’re in these conditions.

There was a panga between us & the coast that appeared to be heading into shore. We were about where we thought we’d find C. Venecia but we were not certain as we were coming down from the opposite direction from where we came in the first time. It was now about 1:30 p.m. & the wind & seas were getting worse. We knew that there is a nasty rocky reef at the entrance of C. Venecia so we were absorbed in trying to identify & avoid it.

We could identify Ensenada Chica by its fishing village so we knew that C. Venecia was but a little way south of it. The panga fishermen were headed there also so we had somewhat of a guide to help us get into this tiny bay. We were vastly relieved as we motored in & dropped anchor.

It had been a harrowing day!

CALETA VENECIA TO CALETA SERIMUERTO: 3 miles

Departed 7 a.m. Monday, March 19th

We made tea & motored out of C. Venecia finding winds again from the SE and a large bank of thick fog blanketing the coast between San Pedro Island & the mainland. We watched it carefully &, sure enough, it crept up the coast toward us. The sea was getting rough even at this early hour & the wind was increasing.

We motored for about an hour then decided that the fog was advancing much too quickly & was much too thick for our liking. We had looked at the map & the cruising guide as soon as we saw the fog & had decided on where we would motor if it became troublesome. We motored into C. Serimuerto, a tiny bay with sandy bottom & steep cobble beaches. We had our breakfast, a 2nd cup of tea & read for a couple hours until we felt it was safe to poke our bow out & make a judgment about proceeding. It is strange to be in total fog but see blue sky above you. It was like being in a ground blizzard.

We found that although it was foggy, it was burning off quickly so we felt confident that we could make it down to San Pedro.

The seas were up & the wind was blowing so our progress was slow but steady.

CALETA SERIMUERTO TO SAN PEDRO: 4 miles

Departed about 11:30 a.m., Monday, March 19th

We were glad to drop anchor in San Pedro! Although this trip hadn’t been as challenging as the previous day’s, there was plenty to keep us absorbed in keeping ourselves & our boat safe.

It was really rough that day & night. The winds were WSW into the anchorage. It was a roly-poly day & night. Thank Goodness for the SS grab rails Ron & Terrel Chappell had securely (the operational word here) mounted on the dodger. It would have been almost impossible to climb in/out of the dink safely without them. I personally blessed them both every time I got in or out of a pitching plunging wallowing dingy.

It was so rough that when we looked up at the wind vane to see where the wind was coming from, the wind vane was looking down at us! The metal arm must have fatigued during the night from the rough sea. This would mean another trip up the mast for Rich when we got into the marina.

SAN PEDRO BAY TO CALETA BANDITO: 6 MILES

Departed 9 a.m., Tuesday, March 20th

We awakened about 6:45 a.m. confused as to why we had awakened so late – until we looked out over the stern of the boat: We were totally fogged in! We couldn’t even see the boat that was anchored off our starboard about 30 yards away.

When the fog lifted enough to marginally see the shore, Rich set off for the beach in the dink with Duke the WonderWater Dog. Five minutes after he left, the fog came in again. He spent a little time getting back to the boat in this dense fog. That was really worrisome. Although we could hear the surf on the shore, I couldn’t hear the dink motor, which is not all that loud to begin with. I was poised with the emergency horn thinking I would let off a blast every 10 seconds or so but he made it back.

We waited a couple hours & the fog began to fade & burn off.

CALETA BANDITO TO SAN CARLOS: 11 miles

Came in about 11:30 a.m.; left again about 1:00 p.m.

The fog closed in on us again; again we had looked at the map & chart to determine where we would head if this should happen. We had chosen this tiny anchorage & were glad we’d prepared for another foggy intermission. We did the same thing we’d done the day before: Had breakfast, a 2nd cup of tea & read.

By this time we were eager to get into the marina. The wind was down & the seas gentle; we knew we could make good time if we could just avoid the fog. We poked our bow out of C. Bandito to see thick fog south of us but decided that we would motor until we had to duck into another anchorage.

But as luck would have it, the fog retreated down the coast ahead of us. We were putting along at about 5 mph, keeping a close watch on the coast, the map, the chart & the fog.

We made it into the marina late Tuesday afternoon. Everything was salty & sandy: The boat, us, the dog. We didn’t know what to do first: Take a shower, get ice cream or have a large iced tea.

To celebrate, we went to Tequila’s for dinner & their huge icy margaritas. We each would probably have had 2 of ‘em if it hadn’t been so late.

The next day, Wednesday, March 21st, I did the laundry while Rich cleaned the boat.

Some observations:

Although Rich & I have been together for almost 15 years & have hiked, biked, kayaked, backpacked, skied together, we’ve each always been on our own bike, in our own kayak, carried our own backpack, etc. This was the first time we had to work together because we were on one boat. We had to communicate clearly, not get impatient with our partner because he/she didn’t understand (probably because the communicator was not being clear enough to the communicatee), and not yell when he/she was frightened or anxious. We had our moments & lapses but we did this together & are very grateful to have survived. Maybe we didn’t exactly flourish this time but we made a huge first step &, most important, we’ll do it again.

Anchoring we found to be a challenge enough without having to cope with a shaley bottom, mud or rock. Because No Mas is so small and to date we’ve anchored only in shallow water with a sandy bottom, I’m the anchorer while Rich is at the helm. We reverse the process when we’re raising the anchor. We’re very careful to back down on the anchor when we drop it & to let out the correct amount of rode depending on the bottom & the wind conditions. We’ve never had an anchor drag. Also because No Mas is only 23’, we can communicate verbally (See Below for additional comments on communication) but we also rely on hand signals per Nigel Calder’s suggestions. This is good practice for the possibility of our buying a larger boat.

We had blown up our dingy before we left & found that it fits perfectly on the foredeck. Its 6’ so we’re like 3 mice in a teacup but, as you can imagine, if you don’t have a dink, the only way you’re going to get into shore is by swimming (See Above for comments on water temps). The little Motor That Could just chugged away, started every time. Landing a dink in rough water on a steep cobble beach is something else again. (I managed to fall out of the dink with an almighty splash & much arm waving in 2’ of water on a gentle sandy beach in front of a beach bar crowded with people.) If you’re a sailor, dinks are a vital park of your life & you’re bound to get wet, especially if you’re sailing with a dog.

Interestingly enough, most of the beaches &/or public areas in Mexico are just filled with trash. One picnicking family at Las Cocinas carefully put their trash in a cardboard box - & then left it on the beach. We’re wondering if there is not regular trash pickup or any trash pickup where they live so they just leave stuff behind when they go.

It’s amazing that so many sailors have so many pets; most of the sailors in the marina have dogs of all shapes, sizes, breeds, ages & temperaments. We have 3 dogs on our dock alone; we did have 2 more but their boat left day before yesterday. Chica is still boarding with the vet as she was never able to accept the marina environment or the boat. Duke is a Golden Retriever, about a year & a half, who wandered into our house, skinny, cold, hungry, fur matted & tangled. We tried to find his owners but to no avail. He is a wonderful sailing partner. Even in the roughest seas, he will generally fall asleep or go below into the forepeak. He is accepting of his PFD which has a handle on the top so if necessary we can help him in/out of the dink on trips to shore. Duke loves the dink to the point that he wants to jump into any dink that happens to come alongside. When Rich gets into our dink, Duke knows it means a trip to shore; he patiently waits while I put on his PFD, sits in the dink until we get it onshore then steps onto the beach with immense dignity. He loves the water & will retrieve endlessly plastic bottles thrown into the water for him. His athleticism is amazing: He can launch himself from the dink onto the boat with one leap. If we had to write a description of what a good boat dog would be, Duke would exemplify it.

He & Rich are best buds. When they go for walks around the marina, Duke is “date bait” – everyone wants to stop & pet him. I never know how long they’ll be gone. This morning, for example, one of the charter boat companies was shooting a commercial so they commandeered Duke to walk across the set which, according to Rich, he did with great aplomb (Duke, not Rich).

After trying 3 different times with 3 different systems, Rich got to the top of the mast this morning to get down the broken wind vane. Unfortunately, although he was able to get a piece of aluminum stock to mend it, he can’t get it back up as there is a screw that is under the backstay that he can get to. We’ll finish our sailing here with telltales & complete the wind vane repair when we step the mast. I was just as happy that the first 2 tries yesterday were unsuccessful because it has been blowing hard & cold the past couple days. Today the wind has moderated & it’s a little warmer. Going up the mast is not for the faint-hearted. It’s amazing how strong you have to be to do this; it’s equally amazing how strong you have to be when you’re the one on the boat belaying. I’d like to take a firm stand & say that I’m not going to participate in this but I know that a day may come when I don’t have that option so I’d better learn now in “safe” conditions.

We’d like to share this with you because this is how we feel about our sturdy little boat: No Mas “…our tough little home that has so patiently protected us from the vagaries of chaos and our own inexperience…was bringing us safely home…”. “Log of the Ithaka” Cruising World July 2004.

I’ll stop now as we’d like to get in a sail today. We wish you all could be with us enjoying the water, the boat & the area.

Adios then, for now, amigos!

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

About brightwork


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.