Existing Member?

No Mas

Blown Away!

USA | Friday, 2 March 2007 | Views [833] | Comments [5]

Well, crud, it's blowing like crazy...again today.  And it's supposed to blow through Sunday.  Red flags on Buoyweather.com for all 3 days.  I think we came down at the wrong time of year.  I thought we'd be sailing much more than we are.  Everyone in the marina is poised to go across to Baja so they're as disappointed as we are.  Not to mention that the big Boaters' Swap Meet scheduled for tomorrow morning will probably be completely disrupted, as well as the Boaters' Chili Cookoff Sunday.  The Chili Cookoff is a fund-raiser for the San Carlos Rescate (Rescue) Service.

Last night we went to a restaurant/bar down on the beach.  La Palapa is very nice, the margaritas were marvelous...but most of the food was Greek!  There was a singer/guitarist who knew all the Eagles' & America songs & did them very well.  Everyone there was norteamericano & of the vintage to enjoy the music of the 70's.  It was really kind of weird to be in Mexico, in a crowd of gringos, eating Greek food & listening to 70's folk music.  But Rich had a couple margaritas which he almost never does & I got him to dance with me.  We really rocked!  I haven't reminded him of this today...

We got out sailing day before yesterday.  Believe it or not, it was very warm & we just ghosted along with the big genny up.  It was almost a little boring.  But any time we can get out on the water is a good time.

We have left Chica boarding with Dr. Orosco but have Duke with us on the boat.  He is such an entirely different dog from Chica; he snoozes in the cockpit, walks up & down the pier to greet his buds, Jack & a big black Lab mix, runs up to the gate to go out.  We've taken him sailing twice & he doesn't turn a hair.  We took him down to the beach the other day with another boater who has a huge trimaran & a Chesapeake Bay retriever.  Duke bounded down & into the water, then turned around, his eyes the size of dinner plates:  Who pulled the land out from under me? was the question in those big eyes.  We don't think he's ever been in the water before because when we'd throw in a plastic bottle to fetch, he's swim back with his head held quite high & his feet churning.  By the end of about 15 minutes, he was an old hand at this swimming business, readily leaping into the water to get the bottle.  The wind was blowing offshore so Duke had to react quickly in retrieving his beloved bottle before it was blown completely out of his reach.  He was like a little kid:  We finally had to put his leash on him & get him back to the boat because he was shivering but still willing to go after his bottle in the water.

Not much more to report at the moment.  More later.

Tags: The Great Outdoors

Comments

1

Who is Duke and why do you have him? Hope the weather cooperates soon. It is beautiful here- lots of skiing and Bob is organizing the garage, etc. Take care and let us hear from you.

  Kathy and Bob Mar 6, 2007 9:58 AM

2

I have just stumbled on your great adventure. I found your blog searching re: "compac 23's" as I am a new owner of one as of two weeks ago. Interestingly, after reading your blog I find several things in common (other than the boat choice). I live in Boulder, Co and was a previous resident of Grand Junction. Small world!

Enjoy your trip, and keep the Blogs coming for those of us landlocked and cold...

Phil C

  Phil C Mar 13, 2007 7:29 AM

3

Mi-Mi and Grandpa Wich,
Where are the pictures of your boat and furry friends?

  Gunnar, Lexi, Kylie, Chicane, & Lilly Belle Mar 24, 2007 8:51 AM

4

3/23/07
I just read the note from Phil C. noting that he was a previous resident of GJ & now in Boulder. Phil, we used to own "No Mas!" & are heading to Boulder on Monday, Mar. 26th to see family for a couple of days. Just curious about your Compac 23 that you recently acquired. We are happy for Sara & Rich to be having so much fun with this adventure!

  Terrel Chappell Mar 24, 2007 4:11 PM

5

Terrel:

Thansk for the info. Woul love to discuss the boat with you. I emailed you directly and look fwd to hearing from you.

  Phil C Mar 28, 2007 10:26 PM

About brightwork


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.