Existing Member?

My Big Adventures

Group travel in Cuba

CANADA | Friday, 13 February 2009 | Views [988] | Comments [4]

Since Sunday night, I've been part of a tour organized by ZunZun Educational Tours, a Cuban/Canadian company based in Vancouver.  Not having been part of an organized and excorted tour before (at least not for more than 1 - 2 days), I really had no idea what to expect. 

In short, it is amazing.  Our guide is local, very experienced, and very knowledgable.  Her English is perfect, and she tries to teach us a few words here and there in Spanish.  Our tour includes about 40 people, half from Canada and half from Bermuda.  We have two buses and two guides, so there's lots of room for everyone. 

The tour is focused on the upcoming Jazz Festival this weekend, but we have had exposure to the history, politics, economy, and social conditions of Cuba as well as the music.  Today, we had a bit of a lecture on Urban Design and Planning from the architect responsible for the construction of a scale model of Havana, and a leader in the most important urban planning organization in Cuba. 

Despite my low expectations, this tour has turned out to be great.  The people on the tour are interesting, engaged, interested in a wide variety of social issues, and fun to spend some time with over many mohitos.  The various sites we are touring always come with an explanation of the historic or cultural importance, so we are getting a rich exposure to Cuba not possible from the beaches of Varadero. 

Yesterday, we were wowed by students at the main Havana music school.  Talented students interested in music training are transferred to this school when they are 8, and work 60 hours weekly (plus homework) through Grade 13.  It was, to be frank, impressive at how much they can do with so little.  The jazz quintet that played for us at the end of several other demonstrations ended up with a well deserved standing ovation. 

I am delighted to be here, and to be spending my time learning a little about where here is.  I've really enjoyed hanging out with other people in the group, and have a lot of memories to share with a guy who popped by Cuba for the tour on his way home to Vancouver from 2 months in Argentina, Ecuador, and Chile.  He and his mom and brother managed to all meet here for the tour, and we've all been chatting a lot about South America. 

The food has been plentiful and flavourful.  I would not accuse Cuban cuisine of being widely varied or overly imaginative, but there's nothing wrong with it at all. 

Tonight is the Opening Ceremonies of the Jazz Festival, after which we'll check out the Buena Vista Social Club.  Tomorrow, music all afternoon, and then the Cuban National Ballet with Giselle. 

Only 15 minutes left on my rather expensive internet card...update later.  Message today is basic: thoroughly enjoying myself. 

Comments

1

Hey Brain,
You have got to tell me how Buena Vista Social Club is

I have some of their albums and love them.

  jim Hainstock Feb 13, 2009 8:09 AM

2

Hi Brian,
Sounds wonderful to be learning so much while you're sightseeing. Tours are definitely the way to go for a first visit, I think - and isn't it interesting you run into someone coming from S.America?! Serendipity indeed. Enjoy the Jazz Festival!

  Celia Feb 13, 2009 8:38 AM

3

Keep soaking it all up B, have fun and please drink many mojitos for me.

  Sheri Lynne Feb 15, 2009 11:11 AM

4

Hey Brian
You must be getting saturated with jazz!! I'm looking forward to hearing more about your wonderful experiences in Cuba! But stay there a bit longer - it's rather miserable here weather-wise.

  Celia Feb 26, 2009 9:55 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.