Existing Member?

My Big Adventures

New Adventure: Cuba International Jazz Festival

CANADA | Thursday, 5 February 2009 | Views [827] | Comments [1]

Well here we go again!  It has been way too long since I've had a chance to reflect, write a bit, and travel somewhere new.  I've been a few places since Argentina.  Interesting places.  I drove across Canada in Casey the Camper for Canada Day in Ottawa, I've been to Ixtapa (and regrettably brought back a little friend), I flew around in helicopters over the now defunct Galore Creek mine in northwestern BC, I discovered and have now twice visited Lasqueti Island, I celebrated 20 years of Aboriginal entrepreneurship and lending in Alberta at the Marriott Hotel and Casino, I went fishing for a week off the west coast of Vancouver Island, I rediscovered the best Greek food in the world in Kamloops thanks to my friend Scott, and I've been to Westbank.  Once.  No need to go back.  

Unlike Scott, I have not partied on a yacht off the coast of Spain or partied all night in Ibeza or attended a private ACDC concert along with a night in Manhattan.   

But once again, really for the first time in two years, I have a chance to take some time and do something fun.  I've worked my butt off for the past few months, and have left behind a nearly clean desk.  Nothing to think about, really.  

So what is this new adventure you might ask?  (I hope someone will ask!) I am off to Cuba to take in the International Jazz Festival.  Cuba has been speaking to me for awhile.  My sister and family have been there, a client / colleague goes often and loves the place, and it turns out one of my favourite clients will be playing in Cuba.  Enough said.  I checked out the possibilities with Aeroplan, they said pretty good, I booked, and now have once again the pleasure of a business class flight for free.  

It occurs to me that the last time I travelled, Megan and Donovan eloped to Las Vegas.  We made up for it a year later with a big ass party - exactly the kind they tried to avoid.  The trip to Argentina was an incredibly special time for me, and I was shocked by the time I got back by how many people were following me along.  It was really neat for me.  

Cuba will be a little less strenuous, I think.  I will be on my own for a few days in Old Havana for a few days at the Plaza - an old mansion converted into a hotel with, I am told, a spectacular courtyard and amazing coffee.  On Sunday, I will join a Canadian organization for the Jazz tour festivities, and the requisite tours of rum factories, cigar factories, and more museums than I care to think about.  

The great part is my friend and client Rob will be there from Calgary, playing drums for the Springbank Big Band.  He tells me we will be partying at the Canadian embassy, as they've been invited to play there. 

So here we go - off again.  Who knows what will happen, but I'm having a great start with wine and cookies in the Maple Leaf Lounge waiting for the first leg of the trip.  

Vancouver - Calgary, short layover, Toronto, 3 hour layover, Havana tomorrow afternoon.  Bug spray and sunscreen packed.  And a few good books.  Hasta luego....

.  

Tags: and exicted!, stage 1: waiting at the airport

 

Comments

1

Way cool Brian...

I am so jealous of the adventure you are undertaking!
Please keep us up to date with your adventure.

  Jim Hainstock Feb 5, 2009 4:18 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.