Existing Member?

Sun is Shining...

Tonsai, Koh Phi Phi, etc.

USA | Wednesday, 21 February 2007 | Views [811] | Comments [5]

 

Life here on the Phra Nang Peninsula moves a bit slower than life in New York City.  The last couple of weeks have been glorious and action packed. 

 

We have mostly been staying on the peninsula (Phra Nang Beach, Railay West/East and Tonsai) but we did take a short trip to Koh Phi Phi last week (the main beach from the movie “The Beach” is on Koh Phi Phi – FYI, the book by Alex Garland is better than the movie…).  Phi Phi town is buzzing with international tourists, souvenir shops and restaurants, but we managed to escape the madness and found some bamboo bungalows at the base of one of the main climbing areas – the accommodations were very rustic and we shared a bathroom with the other nine bungalows, but they were tranquil and located about 100 feet from the ocean.

 

The climbing on Phi Phi was excellent.  We climbed two days at the cliff located above our bungalows, and on our last day we hired a long-tail boat to bring us to the “Oyster Blade,” a rock formation that can only be accessed by boat.  We did a three pitch, three hundred foot climb called “the Hand of the Buddha” which is a Phi Phi classic.      

 

Life on the peninsula is quite interesting…we climb nearly everyday, and when we are not climbing we are kayaking, snorkeling, reading, and thinking and talking about climbing.  Aside from the Thai food (which is wonderful and very inexpensive) and the warm and friendly Thai people who work here, it doesn’t seem very Thai.  Instead, it is an international climbing community located on a few beautiful (and limestone rich) beaches – at any given time we’ll hear five different languages being spoken.

 

Other than that, not too much to report.  We’ll be here for at least a couple more weeks before we head to Nepal – Camille is working on compressing our photos so that we can post a few of them and share how amazing this place is.

 

Much love from Thailand!!!

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

Comments

1

Life sounds wonderful in Thailand ... you both must look so healthy and rested and in shape! All is well here, the kids have been off from school this week so it has been a busy hectic one. My "vacation" starts when they return! Not too much news, Susie started her new job and seems to like it a lot. Mom and Dad are had Matt for a sleepover and special time last night and Grandma Dena just left after a 4 day stay.

Chris and Kristen christened their 4th girl and life goes on ....

Love you both have fun Love Pammy

  Pam Feb 23, 2007 11:59 PM

2

Wow - I feel like I am reading a John Krakauer (sp?) book! This blog thing is so great. It sounds so wonderful - I am going to start to "climb " too - rather than putting my treadmill incline on 3 - I may jump up to 5 in honor of you guys.

I started work this week and think I will really like it. A bit crazy right now, (no coputer yet, etc) but the company THOMPSON GROUP seems like a great growing company. The "sister" hotel to where I work has an incredible Thai restaurant - Kittichai - it is very hard to get in, but since you know me.. well I am sure I can get you VIP seating and discount.

Kids are great - Spent two days at M&D -MArk is good - Life in Port is :)

I love you lots.. Keep the blogs coming - be safe -

Susie and the Goldman crew


  susan goldman Feb 25, 2007 2:56 AM

3

Hey guys!
I was wondering why you were no shows to Montine and Justin's baby shower last week...now I know! What an amazing adventure. Have fun and be safe. Can't wait to hear more of the details.
xoxo
Betsy

  Betsy Raftery Feb 27, 2007 2:08 AM

4

Wow, sounds like paradise. It's so fun to follow your adventures and live vicariously through you. Can't wait for the next installment.

Take care,
the Bluths

  Andrew, Alexa and Julia Feb 28, 2007 8:01 AM

5

You guys are having so much fun! Really, really glad you are able to go on such a wonderful adventure together. Keep up the updates!! Can't wait to hear about Nepal.

Things are going well here. The snow is melting, the sun is out, the coats are coming off (for now at least) and there's a glimmer of hope that the long Moscow winter will soon be over.

From Russia with love...

  Kyle & Irina Mar 10, 2007 3:14 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.