Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

Back to France...again!

FRANCE | Friday, 11 November 2011 | Views [547]

Off to Calais, France today. An early start @ 5.30am, we needed to pack the last of our bags and get the tent down in time to catch a bus for the 8.35am train out of Brugge. Though we were at the bus stop in time, the bus we needed never turned up. We ended up catching the next bus with a delightful driver. He broke us off some English and we traded info about our countries. With us catching the later bus, it meant we missed our first train connection. Roni had done research into our connections and time, so we knew where we had to go, we just didn’t know about times and if it came with any secret costs. Luckily we made it through without a hitch or extra costs. We also met a chatty train conductor that is a trainer at Les Mills in Belgium. He was excited to find out that we were from NZ and sat down with us for a chat.

We arrived in Calais by 5pm. Our motel was just a small walk over the road from the Railway station. YAY! All checked in and bags dropped off, we headed into the cold to explore Calais as we would only be here overnight. Tomorrow we bid farewell to Europe and make our way to the UK.

We visited the port, the old bunker and fort, the lighthouse and other bits and pieces in between before heading back to our motel with fish & chips and a beer. Our room then became a sauna as our pile of hand washed clothing (and tent) dried with the heater going full bore. In this tropical setting we packed our packs yet again before crashing to sleep in the early morning.

 

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.