Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

Pisa!

ITALY | Thursday, 15 September 2011 | Views [373]

We were on the road early as Roni woke up and just got into it, Bray dozing in his seat. After a few hours we paused in the misty hills to consume some breakfast and get freshened up and into clean clothes. Continued on and on through the windy roads, with pauses for scenic shots of course! The mercury was rising as we pushed further south and we loved being back in the sun and warm again.

Our next stop was Pisa. SO exciting! We made lunch at the car – found a free carpark. Walked into the square and were awed by the leaning tower, basilica and baptistery (torre, cattedrale and battistero). Bray loved the fact that it was somewhere he knew from film, games etc and now he was actually there! A little like Angkor on that count, something you have read about, seen in pictures and is famous and now you can actually touch it – surreal.

Our last lot of charged camera batteries ran out of juice after a couple of shots which bummed Bray out, though he pushed on taking pics on Roni’s phone it just wasn’t the same. While visiting the W.C Roni found a bookstore and bought some new ones – returning to make Bray happy. He carried on clicking while Roni relaxed on the grass in the sun.

Back into the car and on the road to Florence. We were aiming for their info site but the GPS wasn’t up for it, led us down many tiny streets (some containing no other cars at all – just people and scooters...maybe we shouldn’t have been driving there!). We gave up on the nav and saw a P sign for a supermarket and aimed for that. More tiny street mayhem...eventually spotted a bar with wi-fi so pulled into a handy carpark and purchased an expensive beer & cheaper carafe of wine so we could wi-fi it up. Used our favourite website to locate campsites nearby before getting scared by some coppers hanging around (we were unsure about our parking status!), skulled our drinks and bailed.

We successfully found our campsite (Firenze International). By this time we were WAAAY too tired. Roni was dead on her feet but it was lovely to stop and be in the sun, near trees and with showers available!  Made camp then visited the camp mini mart. While making dinner Bray almost passed out and had to be assisted to the bathroom (scary for Roni!) – he recovered...whew! Dinner, showers and straight into bed where we pretty much passed out immediately.

 

 

 

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.