Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

In which we enjoy a sunset...

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 24 August 2011 | Views [609]

Roni got up early today and went back to location #1 from yesterday. The peeps were in so it was a successful delivery - yay! Then back to Jasmine GH to get Bray up and he ate brekki while Roni read the paper.

After that we did a few errands, did some recon at the local post office and explored the animal sculpture garden next to the river.

In need of a wee aircon break we popped into KFC (they have free wi-fi too) before walking home to shower, change and drop the laptop before heading to Smiling Sun for our rendevouz with Sokleung and our tuk tuk for the sunset trip to Phnom Bakheng.

Sok arrived soon after us on his bike from school and we had a drink and chat with him while awaiting our tuk tuk's arrival. Waiting...waiting...after almost half an hour Sok gave up and asked another mate. Mr Mom showed up and in we hopped after Sok had done some negotiations. Whizzed out to Phnom Bakheng and joined the hordes.

Walked up the hill then climbed up the temple with MASSES of peeps to try and find a viewpoint at the top. GREAT views, cool temple and a lovely evening of pretty clear weather too. After the sun set the security staff were quick to vamoose us out of there and we scampered down the hill to our waiting tuk tuk as the rainclouds closed in.

Mr Mom dropped us home and we re-confirmed that we would see him at 5am for sunrise...him giving himself an out with,"If it is raining I come at 8am." So we made double sure to check that if no rain he WOULD be here at 5am.

Chatted with a fellow traveller from the U.S.A while watching thunder and lightning from the balcony at our place before setting out into the rain to find a better viewing point. Tried the Lucky Plaza but windows too reflective, continued on until Happy Herb where we had 50c beer with garlic bread while watching the show! Awesome!

After a while the lighting eased (though not the rain!) so we explored some more. Ended up at a street stall near Pub Street eating noodles and spring rolls. A British couple next to us were having BBQ so had attracted all the local street-bookseller-kids who got treated to a great feed. They were keen to share our meal until they realised it wasn't gonna be BBQ...then they were out of there!

Walked home afterwards through the steady rain to hope and pray for a clear morning...

We had plenty of time to hope and pray as our room is a sauna. Even with the window to outside open and fan cranking all day the only way to cool it down is to have the door open...and try to shut it before you fall asleep. 

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.