Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

I want to ride my bicycle...I want to ride my bike...

LAOS | Friday, 22 July 2011 | Views [444]

Today we picked up rental bikes at 7am! Yay for the early start - Roni went to market for supplies first and also so we could have brekkie to get us going.

We biked out to the Plain of Jars - Site 1 (cleared of UXO with the help of NZAid - yay!). After locking the bikes up by the chickens we explored to our hearts content before the hordes arrived.

Jars everywhere - some quite different in material and construction, some with frogs living in and all with bomb craters and trench sites around them. We clambered up a hill and Bear-Grylls-ed it for a while but stopped when the MAG clearance markers ran out - we want to live!! There was also a cave at the site where people sheltered during USA bombing.

The jars are a bit of an architectural mystery - thought to maybe be ancient funerary urns because of the things found in and near them. Local legends range from a race of giants living nearby, rainwater collection to a victorious king who used them for stroing alcohol! They range in size to a height of over 2metres and are scattered over a huge area.

We cycled home - loving being on bikes instead of feet for a change! The skies opened as we rode so being wet anyway we took a scenic route home all around the town and out near the old cemetary.

When home we spent some time getting dry and clean, washing our muddy stuff and trying to dry it out. The rest of the day was spent packing for the morning, playing cards, having lunch and some back/shoulder massaging.

One sad note - when transferring pictures to the laptop from the day somehow our pics of the cave and cycling were all wiped :-( Even Bray the tech genius couldn't find them again :-(

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.