Existing Member?

Life abroad.. Bit about the search for work on a yacht and life abroad!

Been too long!

FRANCE | Thursday, 28 October 2010 | Views [471]

Hi all, its been a while since I wrote last but things have been ticking along nicely here. I think our season is pretty much over since our last trip was to the monaco boat show which was a good couple of days with the owner. He checked out a few boats and its been the most promising year yet with regard to him purchasing a bigger boat. Theres talks about maybe a 75m next year with deposits being put down on a permanent berth, so fingers are all crossed that it all happens as it could be the perfect chance to climb the ranks with a skipper that knows how I work and has my trust. That boat will be sick as it will be capable of doing the crossing over to the carribean for a season there! bring it on! so there may be some more crew spots come available next year.....dont all rush with emails yet haha. Since the boss has done 'all of the med' its very likely that next year our season will be cruising egypt! so stoked as Ive always wanted to go there, and if its anything like it was this year, ill be able to go check out the sights and see the pyramids etc etc so looking forward to it.

Things have been chilled here, doing small repairs on the boat, and in some cases the work we do just creates more work, but oh well it keeps up busy. Signed up at the gym recently to try and keep the food fit for a king off the puku. Membership hasnt had alot of use yet ha! The waves here in the med hardly ever break since theres no real swell that makes its way here but the boys on the boat have been out a few times in the last few weeks, made a couple of trips just past the italian border, so im itching to get a board and try to catch some of these winter swells that hopefully come through. Going to get a setup from UK as they have no boards for sale round here since theres no swell!! Next on the list is a snowboard setup coz the season starts in about a month and well be up there eery weekend as its only a 2 hour drive! that will keep me busy and sane in the winter months.

The weekend just gone we went to amsterdam to check out Amsterdam Dance Event and a kiwi band Shapeshifter play there. Crazy weekend. that city is amazing. Checked out the red light district, sex museum, canal tours etc. Awesome city and would live there any day. Only downer was the cold. 10 degrees max and although took heaps of clothes, wasnt really enough, now im crook. Ahh well price you pay for a sick weekend! will definately return. Once of the girls on our boat wasnt allowed to leave for france because she didnt have a visa so she get deported to London where she had to sort some things. Was pretty funny, quite glad I had my French Visa.

I think thats it for now. This journal will now turn into an update of where and when I go places since our yachting season is over. Travels will still be happening and im hoping that next month ill catch a ride up to switzerland when our engineer Damo drives up there to get a day of snowboarding in, London is also on the cards, Biarritz one weekend with the boys to get some waves (west coast of france, always pumps with swell) and for New Years im hoping to get to Dusselldorf in Germany to check out a huge new year event called sensation. Finders crossed I dont have to be on watch on the boat.

Anyway enough for now, hope all is well back home, stay posted

Ciao

About bradenh


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.