Existing Member?

Life abroad.. Bit about the search for work on a yacht and life abroad!

Malta, sicily and now making our way back

ITALY | Monday, 16 August 2010 | Views [453]

So we spent a few days in and around Malta. That place is wicked and wish we had more time to stay there and head out etc. Its part of the British colony so most speak English and cars drive on left handside just like backhome so I could definately spend a while there. Primo city with plenty of history surrounding the knights of St John. We Were docked the first night in Valetta which is the capital of Malta and the next day Mikie and I went on a tour of the city. We were lucky as they couldnt get hold of a russian guide so the one we got was english so it suited us well. Learnt alot about the history of Malta and saw some really sweet stuff. We visited the Armoury, the Co-Cathedral and were told that alot of films like the Davinci code, count of monte cristo etc were filmed in malta because all of the building are old and it is a historic fortified city. I will add some photos of Malta for you at home to see.

We left the dock in Malta and headed a few bays around and anchored up for the night. Found some amazing caves with crystal clear water. Weve been busy getting the toys in and out and swimming and keeping the boys entertained alot. Its been all good though, am loving the job.

After the couple of days in Malta we headed back to sicily and docked for the night in Palermo, the home of the Sicilian Mafia. The Marina there was surprisingly chilled out for such a big city. That was a relaxed night with no worry of anchor watch or anything etc. We were in Polermo as that is where half of the guests were leaving from so we were going to wait until they flew out to leave but the following day we left palermo as the boss wanted to anchor a few bays around with a nicer view etc so we left and dropped anchor for the night and we were going to headed back round closer to the airport the following day. So it is now sunday and we have just dropped half of the guests off. Plans have changed and we haved now lost 5 of our 8 guests as they went back home on their jet so we now have just the boss' wife, son and another family friend onboard. We are to make our way back to france, going to Corsica, Sardinia and back up the coast of italy so we may get to go to Rome, Pisa etc so here hoping. But good in a way to hear were heading back but its been good times on this trip. May not be back in France for a week or so though but things will be alot quieter on the boat.

Probably be doing alot of sailing in next few days so may have a bit of down time.

Quite looking forward to the off seasoin/winter in France. We are likely to going into a shipping yard for at least a month for a respray and maintenance on the boat. Theres talk of possibly going to Barcelona in Spain which im hoping happens as that will be a sick place to be in! The boys do plenty of snowboarding and surfing in the winter so i need to invest in a new board and a new setup. Will get looking when im back in France.

Hope all is going sweet back home. Keep me posted on how things are and whats new!

About bradenh


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.