Existing Member?

Life abroad.. Bit about the search for work on a yacht and life abroad!

Sicily - were getting around

ITALY | Sunday, 8 August 2010 | Views [419]

Right, after a couple of nigts anchored off the Island of Capri we moved on to Stromboli and now were in Sicily. Capri was wicked place. A really cool Island with some awesome coastline and frock formations, massive cliffs, and a sick little town at the top of the Island. There were plenty of other yachts around and we were probably one of the smallest so there were some big ones. Managed to look around the town with the guests on night as one of us at least normally always goes with them. There were some caves somewhere round the Island so me and the captain took the tender out and the boss and his son rode the jet ski. We ended up going around the whole island which took about an hour so that was cool. So weve done capri in that sense. The people in italy are so swarve, always tidy looking and the chicks......damn! very classy.

After capri we headed for stromboli the night before last. Stromboli is an active volcano so at night its pretty impressive. You can see small eruptions glowing at night. Not alot was happening when we passed it but still saw a few small eruptions. There a whole town below the volcano, so theyre pretty keen living there. We couldnt anchor at stomboli as it was too deep so we headed for sicily which was an hour from Stromboli. Found a cool little bay to anchor in and we have now been here for two nights. The boss quite likes it here as it is pretty chilled, were the biggest yacht here and there are not many others. Theres a sweet little town that pumps the music at night. Mike and I went for a rubbish run last night and got sidetracked and couldt resist the urge for a couple of beers while we were in town. Plenty of people about and plenty of music.

The last couple of days have beenvery chilled. After the crossing from stromboli which was really rough, once we had cleaned the boat the next morning from all the salt, its been laxed since as we havent moved. This morning we hardly needed to wash down and we were done by 8.45am and now were jsut waiting for the guest to get up, have breakfast and then for the boys to want to use the toys. Cant complain about this. When this job is good, its awesome, when its bad, its still far better than an office job!! Its all good though!

Theres alot of nosey people that come ride round the baot and check it out. Yesterday was the second time ive had somebody ask me whether its Tom Cruise's boat. Yesterday a kid came up to the boat and asked if it was. Ive just been playing along and been saying yes. He got all amped and rushed off to his friends. bit of a laugh. Course were not going to say to them who the owner is etc as its private.

I think today were going to haul anchor and head around sicily more. Were eventually making our way to Croatia, but theres meant to be a bit of rough weather when were planned to get there so were not sure. I hope so though as that place is meant to be amazing.

The captain gets along well with the boss as hes been his captain for a few years and is quietly trying to get him to buy a bigger yacht around the 60m mark which will duit him more. Hope that happens as there may be a good season next year and i may move up the ranks quicker etc. Be plenty of jobs on there also.

 

Hope all is well back home. This life is great, missing all back home!

About bradenh


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.