Existing Member?

Life abroad.. Bit about the search for work on a yacht and life abroad!

Im on a boat!!

FRANCE | Friday, 9 July 2010 | Views [452]

Well, after four days of day work this week onboard Sirona III, eating well and working hard I got a voice message today while working. Rang it back quickly and ended up geting an interview straight after work today, Rushed back to the crew house, showered, shaved and caught the train to Golfe Juan where the boat was docked.

Interview went well, the Captain and first mate are both south africans and real chilled out guys. Got along with them really well. Talked over my cv and what i had done previously which all seemed good. Said they would contact me tonight os the positon was to start tomorrow. Walking back down the dock I hear them yell out my name and call me back. "see you here at 8am?" man i was stoked and jumped straight at it. I had scored a job, in under two weeks being here, where most are taking a couple of months at least. Pretty dam lucky.

Got to the train station and got a call from the mate and he said that they were all heading out for a farewell drinks for the deckie that Im taking over and asked if it was sweet if i moved onto the boat tonight to 'watch'. So here I am, bags and all moved on. Checked out of the crew house, got my money back and am now on the boat. Its a 41m LUXURY yacht.

Has 8 crew and they are all awesome with two other kiwis, stewardess named Rochelle and Chef named 'Beef'. This boat is decked out!!! jet tenders, 3 jet skis etc. The crew quarters are all good. what you would expect, minimal space but I think its all good. Twin cabins with own ensuite crammed in there. Also have our own tv screen with a huge hard drive of movies and can connect to the internet etc etc! Hours on here are 8-5pm im told when the owners are not on board five days a week with weekends off, and working alot harder when the owners are onboard. All good and exaclty what I would have expected....if not better

Food on here is amazing, crew fridge is always stocked up!! its going to be dangerous.

Som of the pictures show the crew area and decked out fridge etc

So im pretty stoked! came here thinking that I may be home in a month, found plenty of day work and I have more money now than when I arrived!! plus I have a job! Yeeha!

Starting work tomorrow morning at eight, will get my crew uniform etc. and I think the owner may be arriving tomorrow or saturday for a week or two. I think were going to St Tropez, Italy and Turkey and who knows where else. Apparently the owners are real nice and actually have a good conversation with you and invite you ashore to spend the day tripping with the....Will soon see.

Feeling pretty lucky and so stoked.

Will stay posted, will be pretty busy next couple of weeks id say. Ciao for now

About bradenh


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.