Existing Member?

The Year Trip We are on another grand family adventure. This time we are taking 10 months to circumnavigate the globe!

Brussels, Belgium

USA | Thursday, 16 November 2017 | Views [555]

We were worn out when we arrived in Brussels.  We really did a lot of walking in London.  When we got off the train and I announced to the girls we only have a 1.4 km walk with our backpacks I thought we had a munity on our hands.  When I planned the accommodations, there was several things I weighed: 1. Cost, 2. Transportation, 3. Ratings, and 4. Kitchenette.  I had some scale in my head of total cost, which if we had to pay for transportation is cost more, if it did not have a kitchenette it cost a lot more, but it still had to be reasonable.  Most of our accommodations ended up being a bit out of the tourist district, but close enough we could either walk or have a short bus ride.  Brussels was not our longest walk with our packs, but it was one of the roughest.  The girls (including Elizabeth) were tired and hungry.  We agreed to walk halfway and stop to eat.  It was actually just under a kilometer when we finally found somewhere to eat, this is one of the few times we did not look at prices of menu or if the they had vegetarian for Brooklyn, they were sitting in this restaurant no matter what! 

After lunch, it was hard getting the packs back on but we finished our walk and checked into our Aparthotel.  We did nothing but school work the rest of the day!  On our walk to our Aparthotel, Brooklyn spotted a fabric store. She has been purchasing small amounts of fabric from some of the places we have visited to make a quilt with her grandma when she gets home. She kept a note where it was, so we could go back and buy fabric the next day.

We had no real plans in Brussels.  Usually, if we do not have a plan for specific things to do, we make a plan the day we arrive. However, we did not do this here in Brussels, so the next day we awoke with nothing to do, which was unusual.  We decide to just head out and walk, we spent most of our time walking around the city. We did come across a famous statue of a boy peeing, Manneken Pis. We also learned there was a museum, called Garderobe MannekenPis, where over 400 outfits are displayed, but the girls wanted a break from museums. Plus, we were a bit jealous of a statue that has more outfits than all four of our clothes put together!

There are a couple things you must do when you visit Brussels., we ate some waffles. I had whipped cream on mine, Brooklyn plain, and Kaleigh and Elizabeth shared one with some ice cream…they were delicious. We had to purchase some chocolate, of course we selected the first store that offered a free taste.  Once you taste the chocolate you are hooked!  Elizabeth and I also got a chance to try a couple different beers.

When we originally added Brussels to our trip we thought we would do a lot more.  We looked at chocolate making schools, visiting comic museums, and visiting the atom structure, but we were ok just walking around.  We still put several miles on our shoes and seen a good portion of Brussels, we just did it with no destination in mind. 

Tags: beer, brussels, chocolate, manneken pis, waffles, world nomads

 

About bombardo-family

Glacier National Park 2014

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.