Existing Member?

Journeys If you meet Buddha in the road, kill him.

Rio Dulce and Livingston

GUATEMALA | Friday, 12 September 2008 | Views [373]

After a torturous 3.5 hours on a 1st class bus with no air con, not allowed to open windows, and cockroaches hitching a free ride...I got to Rio Dulce. Windy roads and the heat left me a little dizzy. A throng of boatsmen attacked and I was really frustrated with persistence. I broke away and headed towards my best guess directionally of the docks...and a guy on a bicycle followed me...talking about boat times etc. I told him ...not so politely that I needed a restaurant. Finally I arrived. Just ten minutes in the heat made me droopy. I sat down and hunted for an advil...a migraine was coming on. The bicycle guy was back. I expressed that I was a little sick and he ordered me a glass of water. When it arrived...it was not accompanied by a bottle. I crossed my fingers and took the pill. Soon after I felt better...probably food and a cold drink helped. I bought a ticket and got on the boat. The ride was really beautiful..about 2 hours. Once in Livingston, the captain started leading tourists to a hotel. I slipped away to find my own. It was called the pink house...Casa Rosada. It was paradise! Little cabins...and a garden and the water just beyond. The restaurant played soft beautiful music and I ate dinner...and breakfast gazing out at the mouth of the river that connects with the sea. The downtown area is lively at night and sweet. It is a very safe town. People were very friendly and kept saying they wanted tourists to speak well of the town. Of course I didn´t know at the time that pirates had attacked a small vessel out at sea...and the American man wouldn´t give up his stuff...and they stabbed him...and he died later. Such a shame...it had nothing to do with the people of Livingston...and the poor guy. It shouldn´t have happened, but also the book says many times...if you are held up...give up your stuff...your camera is not worth your life. And insure valuables if you must bring them. I am glad I did just that. Anyway...enough sad news...I loved Livingston. It is a rich combination of Indiginous people, Garifunas, Ladinos, and even people with Indian ancestory. It is lively and warm...rather hot...boiling hot. Apparently those hurricanes are sucking the cooler rain out of the rainy season!

About blue


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.