Existing Member?

Journeys If you meet Buddha in the road, kill him.

Flores

GUATEMALA | Tuesday, 9 September 2008 | Views [418]

Ok...6 hours later I arrived in Flores...not the worse for wear. We stopped for a cafeteria lunch...just like in Thailand! We also watched Kung Fu Panda and Star Wars Clones...in Spanish. Once here I hit a wall of heat. From one extreme to another! Just walking down the street is a task. All the shops close at around noon and reopen around four. I have a huge dorm room to myself. Never was a cold shower such heaven! I woke up this morning at 2.30 AM to get the 3.15 bus to Tikal for a sunrise tour. It was hard at first. For 20 minutes we went at a quick pace to get to Temple 4 and climb it to watch the sun rise. It was beautiful! Then I photographed monkeys everywhere! Then I managed to slip and fall part way down a differenty temple. Luckily I came through unscathed...but a few people watching were pretty scared for me...and I was definitely shaky afterwords! Jeeze! I passed on climbing any more after that...I have climbed plenty of piles of rocks in the past few years! Then I waited 3 or 4 hours for a bus back. It was so hot today I really felt irritable by the time I got back to Flores (oh yeah...and a flat tire along the way!)...but nothing a piña colada couldn't fix! Tomorrow I go to Rio Dulce and catch a boat to Livingston....and chill on a beach in a hut in this Caribbean outpost for a few days!

About blue


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.