Existing Member?

Rapscallion

Mt Aspiring National Park

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 6 November 2011 | Views [862]

Our New Zealand holiday refreshed our spirits. Aotearoa is a place of wild landscapes and perfect rural scenes, from the city of Dunedin nestled in tree-clad hills by the sea, to cute hamlets, like Arrowtown, to snow capped alpine peaks and lonely long beaches where we only met wildlife. The South Island is a land where we really had a breath of fresh air.

We cycled along the Otago Rail, tramped around Mt Aspiring through forested valleys and spectacular mountain scenery. From Queenstown we drove past Lake Hayes and Lake Wanaka before jet boating up the Waitoto River, visited the majestic glacier at Fox and heli-hiked up Franz Josef and roamed the rugged West Coast in the South Island, kayaked and walked the stunning coastline in Able Tasman, watched seals in Kaikoura, and saw the devastation of the earthquake in Christchurch.

Our gourmet specialties included roast dinner at a mountain lodge, whitebait fritters at in Port Jackson, venison at Haast, muscles in Westport, paua and crayfish at Kaikoura. We enjoyed the fine wines of Wairau Valley. Our time in the "Land Of The Long White Cloud" lingers on after our return home. 

The bus picked us up early on Thursday 6 January 2011 on a cold Dunedin morning. Outside the rain fell intermittently. Before Wanaka the inclement weather worsened. We huddled al fresco at a restaurant before the final leg of our journey, an hour’s drive north of Wanaka. The Matukituki River had moved across its braided bed, trees were down from high winds and the river was too high to cross. Our group of 38 keen trampers had to walk over the West Matukituki footbridge and a few kilometres in driving rain. A helicopter brought in our food supplies. 

Some clothing was slightly damp, but not our spirits. We settled into our bunk rooms and changed into warm dry clothes. Generally, it was blokes on the top bunk. I clambered up with my blue folded sheets to make the bed. Everyone else had brought a sleeping bag. I could not understand why the sheets would not fit the bed – they were so small. In fact, they were not sheets but 2 round table cloths! Forlorn and embarrassed, I enquired whether anyone had a spare sleeping bag. Our camp ‘Mum’, Jenny Scott led me to a broom cupboard where there were left over sleeping bags. I took two to snuggle up in the cool evenings.

On the first morning, Friday we set off just after 8 o’clock. It was cold and wet with a strong wind. We had not envisaged such foul conditions. Remarkably, within an hour the sun shone brightly and we peeled off the extra clothing. We followed our leader, Don Cameron a sprightly 81 year old whose ice axe combined as a walking stick, hoe and seat. We traversed the grassy flats and over a suspension bridge and through the beech forest on the East Matukituki Valley to Glacier Burn.

We wound along through dense, dark, old growth forests and dark woods. Then down into the riverbed again before climbing back into the primeaval beech forest. The gnarled trees with their twisted roots threatened to trip us every step. The female hikers with their poles had difficulty with the undulating terrain. At each rest stop we noticed the sandflies, They swarmed all over us and bit our exposed, unprotected skin. After lunch we continued our hike up the east branch to witness a magnificent ‘other worldliness’. Rainfall was plentiful and the beech forest came with a sound track of birdsong and waterfalls. We were in awe at the pristine scenic beauty of this wilderness area. Around us was a vast amphitheatre and above the soaring cliffs and evergreen forest snowy peaks dominated the skyline. What gave the place its particular enchantment were the waterfalls.  Down the many cracks and fissures in the steep rocky slopes fell long, silver ribbons of water.

We returned to Tititea Lodge about 6.30pm where Jenny had organised a marvellous dinner. Russell Lambeth ensured the amenities were spot on and even provided suitable beverages. We all took turns to share the domestic chores eg; cooking, cleaning, washing and wiping dishes, etc. Our leaders told us that each day we had a choice of 3 different tramps.  At dinner I presented the table cloths to the lodge and gave Don a white rock for being solid and reliable guide on the day’s tramp. The evening camaraderie was most enjoyable and we retired to our bunk beds before dark. Generally, it was blokes on the top bunk and ladies below. It was still light at 9.45pm!

On Saturday after a hearty breakfast of porridge and toast we hopped on the trailer and were taken across the river by the tractor. From there we were transported by van and 4 WD to Raspberry Flat car park. The tramp to Aspiring Hut is mainly over green tussock meadows with mountains all around. We had to negotiate a couple of small bluffs which provided great views up and down the valley. After passing the old Cascade Hut we had to walk over a boggy marsh. Until then my feet had remained dry. The dampness exacerbated blisters on both my heels and Marcus Klein and I had a pleasant rest in the warmth of the bay windows. We had a view of the mountain from the valley floor to the summit. It was dense forest on the lower slopes, rock in the middle and snow on top. Across the tussock flats of the meandering river was boxed in by the gorge-like walls of the west Matukituki River valley.

In the distance at the top of the valley was Mt Bevan and towering above all the mountains was the peak of Mt Aspiring. This was Kiwi magic, almost a mystical surreal scene. Most of our fellow trampers climbed steadily on a well graded track through mixed beech forest to the Cascade Saddle. Part of this track followed a steep snowgrass and tussock ridge, with a few rocky outcrops to negotiate. Ice ages and huge tectonic upheavals had created beauty with a hard edge. Meantime Simon, Helen and Katie continued on a bush track past Aspiring Hut to Pearl Flat a meadow covered in short tussock grass. It was magnificent setting on a picture perfect day. There wasn’t a cloud in the blue sky. The mountains and scenery were superb. Simon and I took a refreshing dip in the cool waters of the river.

Sunday was another superb bluebird day. Like other mornings we arose early before 6.30am so that we were ready to hike before 8 o’clock. Again the tractor towed the trailer with our group across the Matukituki River to be then transported to Raspberry Flat. It is a marvellous walking trail along the west Matukituki valley. We walked along grassy river flats of the glacier-gouged valley, which are hemmed by imposing mountains. And above the tree line, subalpine gardens of tussock, lichens and dainty flowering herbs seemed to survive against all odds. We crossed the swing bridge and the track climbed steeply through a small gorge up the Rob Roy stream into a beech forest and then into alpine vegetation at the head of the valley. We stopped for lunch overlooking a waterfall and above was the Rob Roy glacier. Cheeky keas scurried about looking for scraps of food. Two Swiss tourists were warned and with a quick flap of its wings one kea swooped and a plastic bag with a plum were taken into the bush.

Whilst the others returned Simon and I clambered on up a scree stream for 40 minutes. It was hot work. The temperature was about 32o and the humidity a pleasant 29%. On our descent we gazed at the top of the waterfall to watch 2 blokes base jump from the top. Wow, that was breath taking! Further downhill our toes were squashed into the front of our footwear. The big toe on my left foot was purple. The water in the ravine was appealing but fast flowing. It was a sparkling clear aquamarine. The colour caused by minerals and crushed rocks which the river brings down from the melting snow off the glaciers. Again later that afternoon Simon and I couldn’t resist going for a bracing swim below rapids in the Matukituki River even though the water temperature was only about 7o.

The Mount Aspiring National Park is a walker's paradise and gave us a wonderful mixture of remote wilderness, high mountains and beautiful river valleys.

 

 

Tags: trekking

About blomies


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.