Existing Member?

Epic Proportions Keeping family and friends up-to-date with recent adventuring!!

Long Overdue Update

THAILAND | Sunday, 27 February 2011 | Views [444]

So sorry for the long delay between updates. I know you all have been checking the blog hourly.

I'm writing from Krabi, Thailand. First off, it's beyond beautiful here. Ben and I have spent the last few days in southern Thailand (1,000 km south of Bangkok) on the islands of Ko Samui and Ko Pha-Ngan. The beaches here are picture perfect. White sandy beaches with palm trees casting the occasional shadow, just big enough for someone to nap underneath while listening to the sound of the gentle, but ever heaving surf. It's a shame that EVERYBODY knows about this place. Despite the beauty, the over-development is extreme. We had one taxi driver inform us that ten years ago that this place with good, but now "no good, sad". The book (SE Asia on a Shoestring) warns its reader about this calamity but Ben and I decided that we too, seasonal broke-ass fish bums, should be able to enjoy the perfect beaches with the rich.

The first island we stayed at, Ko Samui, was the most developed of the two. We managed to find a budget bungalow (with A/C) RIGHT on the Chaweng beach for about 800 Baht ($12.50/per person). We had taken a 2nd class night bus from Bangkok, which turns out only working class Thais take, so we got to see different cities and ports than the usual tourist who rides 1st class or VIP. Being still jet-lagged and sleep deprived (no sleep on 2nd class, we do not fit very well into Asian-sized seats) worked to our advantage here though. During the day we swam in a rainstorm, played beach volleyball, and frolicked in the ocean and the softest sand my toes have ever felt. We crashed out at about 7:00 p.m. which is when the island "comes alive". All the rich, white tourists begin to have dinner then drink themselves into a stupor at this point. But early to bed means early to rise. Taking a beach walk at 5:00 a.m. is super nice because we got to enjoy the sunrise and NO ONE is awake; the beach was vacant of its 9860986045 sunbathers.

Don't get me wrong, this island is fun and beautiful but it's not for the backpacking type.

MUCH more later (I'm about 5 days behind) but we need to get going on our daily activities...

About blackbs2


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.