Existing Member?

Tripping with Chav and Lou

Free Willies!

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 12 October 2007 | Views [462]

Had a nice few days chilling out in Byron Bay and not doing alot. Despite us both saying that we had done far too much walking on our trip and had no further plans for such energetic activities, we ended up walking to Cape Byron light house as loads of people had recommended it, and we were on a money saving day. And on the way up there we saw.........humped back whales!!! Borrowed some binoculars at the light house from a bloke who tells visitors about the marine life, and whale watched for about half an hour. Was really cool. They thought that one of the whales had got beached near some rocks and were about to go on a Greenpeace mission when it swam away! Also saw a bush turkey which wasn't too pretty on the way back down to the beach.

Had an evening playing pool and getting pissed at the hostel with our room mates and getting high from the various substances we were passively smoking that other travellers had probably bought from Nimbin. We did consider going there ourselves,but the only free day was before we went to the airport and decided flying with clothes smelling of cannabis wouldnt have been a good move! (knowing Lou's luck. At least she didnt get pulled for an explosive trace test like at the other airports we have been through!!)

Went for a bike ride in the morning before we left and got a bit lost. Nearly ended up on the Pacific Highway. Not many places you can ride round Byron Bay that doesn't involve going up big hills.

We are now in Cairns and staying in a really good family run hostel with big rooms and cheap rates. The 2 other girls in our room are German and Irish and very nice.Only downfall is they don't have internet at the hostel so it might be a few days until you hear from us again. (unless we randomly find another internet cafe!)

Tags: The Great Outdoors

About bixxie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.