Existing Member?

Mexico Through the Viewfinder Mexico has a lot to offer, bring your camera and start shooting!

La Roma

MEXICO | Friday, 22 March 2013 | Views [1278]

Mexico City has plenty of colorful neighborhoods with rich history and particular features.

This time, I chose "La Roma", because of its landmark architecture and sparkling cultural life.                                                                   

La Roma was built during the three first decades of the 20th century. It combines various architectural styles, from Art Deco to Art Noveau, neoclassical nd neo-Gothic. It was home to wealthy families

.Art deco balcony

In the 70's and 80's, the wealthy families started moving to new, fancy american style neighborhoods in the nerby Polanco and Lomas areas. The decline was complete during the 80's, when a huge earthquake hit Mexico City, and "La Roma" suffered serious damages, as did other neighborhoods within the central area of the city. Inhabitants fleed to the suburbs and the neighborhood was left almost in ruins.

Casa de las Brujas

 

Fortunately, during the first decade of this century, La Roma was subject to a comprehensive renovation, and now is a cultural, artistic and gastronomic hub. The cosmopolitan atmosphere felt almost everywhere is at its peak along Alvaro Obregon avenue, which has a broad median in which people walk during the afternoons, and flea markets and art bazaars set shop during the weekend.            

Art market in Alvaro Obregon                                                   Gothic lamp detail

You can definitely find all kinds of cuisine in this area, but the main attraction is decidedly the architecture: there are landmark buildings that are a must for the visitor, like the Balmori building, the Parian, and the Casa de las Brujas (Witches' house). There are several boutique hotels, most of them occupy one of the 1,400 Heritage buildings in the neighborhood.              

EL Parián       

Whenever you visit Mexico City, save some time to take a walk around La Roma; its many restaurantes, shops, art galleries and attractions will make for a memorable visit.

                         

Edificio Balmori

                   David

 

Detalle arquitectónico

 

Tags: architecture, buildings, landmarks, mexico city

 

About betynoguez


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.