Existing Member?

Mexico Through the Viewfinder Mexico has a lot to offer, bring your camera and start shooting!

Starting Point

MEXICO | Monday, 15 August 2011 | Views [826]

This is one of the iconic buildings in Mexico City, the Fine Arts Palace or

This is one of the iconic buildings in Mexico City, the Fine Arts Palace or "Bellas Artes"

It just seems right to start off a trip into Mexico just in the place where you are most likely to land: Mexico City.  Almost eight eight hundred years old, this Metropoli is a mosaic of cultures, and just to get to know all the really important places would take you a lifetime.  There is something for every taste and age, and what a better way to know it than by the side of someone who has spent almost all her life there.  I hope what you find in this lines proves useful for your trips, or at least enternaining and interesting.  This said, let's start with one of the "Musts" of this incredible city: Downtown or "Centro Histórico".

Once an island in the middle of a lake, this city has been witness to most of Mexico's History.  Inhabited by the Aztecs and conquered by the Spaniards in the XVI century, it has suffered major transformations along its turbulent existence.  The "Centro Historico" or downtown, shelters the physical witnesses of all this convulsion.   Admired for its colonial architechture, it huge square or Zócalo and history-filled streets, it is a must for any traveler who intends to say "I have been to Mexico City".   You cannot miss the Metropolitan Cathedral and the National Palace, both sitting around the Zócalo (Main Square) which is the beating heart of all who live in the city.  From there, you can walk west through Tacuba street until you reach the Fine Arts Palace, and the Alameda Park.  Needless to sy, along this journey you will find all kinds of stores, restaurants and curiosities that will keep you very busy.  You should set apart at least a couple of days in your trip to see this magical, surreal and vital area.

Tags: colonial architechture, downtown, mexico city

 

About betynoguez


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.