Existing Member?

Somewhere Out There

The Metta Experiment

THAILAND | Thursday, 2 December 2010 | Views [1903] | Comments [3]

In the last two weeks, I've learned more than I could put into words, and I'm happy to say I've changed my plans to hang out longer. We're about 30 minutes outside of Chiang Mai, perched on a small hill, in the middle of the Thai countryside. This project, meant to be a sustainable community environment, as well as Buddhist and permaculture learning center, is in it's beginning stages. Two months ago, Chris and Jariya (the couple who put all this into motion) began retrofitting an abandoned property with some buildings and outbuildings. I've helped with demolition, concrete mixing, building, electric, general construction, and Thai Cooking. Jariya, a native of Thailand, is a wonderful cook (as well as human being, lawyer, and friend) and she (like everyone here) has taught me whatever I asked to know (and sometimes much more). The workings of a community are hard to understand. It's a mixture of synergy and work ethic when it's right, and confusion and uncertainty when it's not. Luckily, I've stumbled upon a community that, for the most part, gets it right. I've rarely in my life felt more ignorant, but that being said, I've rarely been in a position to gain so much first hand knowledge. Stu, the permaculture expert has decades under his belt. He's helped me to understand permaculture in a much broader view - not only farming and planting, but retrofitting and rethinking what resources are in front of me. Jariya and Chris (now a professor of Buddhist Studies at Chiang Mai University, previously a Zen Buddhist monk) have given so much of themselves and their time to this project, and it's so exciting to see such honest and sincere dedication. Jake, a recent college grad from the states has been making steps out of rubble, concrete and grit - his work ethic alone is something to marvel at. Johnny, a master electrician and over all handyman, has been safely instructing me in everything from cables to carburetors, all with his Irish sense of humor. Asha, a new volunteer, is here between semesters in New Zealand and India, and she's already made fast friends with a amazing Thai woman - proving both of their generosity of spirit. I could go on, talking about others that have left, and perhaps others who may come, but the point is, I'm among a community of unique and talented people, all of whom I'm learning from daily. I've decided to extend my stay here, and I know it's the right thing to do, sometimes passport stamps aren't the point. It's the people along the way - hopefully I'm giving something back (what exactly I'm not sure) but in any case, today has been another good day. A note for you to contemplate (as I have been): the Buddhists say, "Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water." Goodnight.

Comments

1

Hello Bette

I'm very happy to read that it's so amazing out there! After reading some reviews of other volunteers who said it was just working hard and not so much else to do. But it's like you say, you can learn so much!
So I have planned to come help also, around the end of January. If you want you can always contact me to tell about everything what you're doing up there.

Can't wait to leave the country, and maybe see you there!
Cheers, Kevin
kevain.bh@hotmail.com

  Kevin Behaegel (Belgium) Dec 27, 2010 4:13 PM

2

I'd like to contact the Metta Experiment in hopes of volunteering 2012 but can't find a working web site or email address. Can anyone help?

Thanks, Saskia

  Saskia Sep 18, 2011 2:12 PM

3

Metta was stopped during my stay, because of the crazy land owner... There will be a new project sooner or later :)

  Kev Oct 26, 2011 10:50 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.