Existing Member?

Somewhere Out There

Thailand (aka Paradise)

THAILAND | Sunday, 28 November 2010 | Views [598] | Comments [1]

Loy Krathong was last weekend, and in the north, Chiang Mai, the Yee Peng festival. This lantern festival is tied together with Buddhism, and the Wats (temples) have celebrations all weekend. I can not put into words the mystical and mythical beauty of the lanterns being let off into the night sky. They are made from Mulberry paper, and as they rise into the air, by the hundreds and thousands, your worries are meant to go with them. I was with some friends, and we sat by the Ping River for hours, listening to the throngs of people, watching fireworks, and taking in the lanterns. Loy Krathong is more focused with floating small flower offerings with lights and incense down the river. This is meant to offer apologies to the river for our pollution. The people, parades, street food, markets, Lanterns - I was so overwhelmed I couldn't stop looking at the sky. The lanterns owned the night. The moon made a guest appearance but the stars didn't show their faces. The lanterns were so delicate, so elegant, and at the same time sturdy and strong. But the faces of people letting them off, or simply watching in the crowd were spellbinding. I realize I'm using dramatic language, but it seems paltry and riduculous to use any language, to try to describe this experience at all. It was one of the largest nights of my life. I will forever remember it, and be thankful for stumbling upon it.

As the night wore down, we went for dinner, and I realized I wasn't hungry, but my feet were killing me. So...I sat down at one of the many outdoor massage shops and had a foot massage. As I was relaxing, looking up into the sky and seeing the occasional lantern, a baby elephant and his handler mumbled down the street. I gasped in suprise and the lady working on my feet smiled, and somehow (she didn't speak english and I don't speak Thai) she realized I was talking about the elephant, and she yelled at his handler to bring him over. I bought some elephant snacks, and I sat feeding a wonderfully soft, squishy, leathery elephant, and letting him nuzzle me with his trunk. All the while my feet were being rubbed, and the sky and air were alive with the festival. I can only tell you it was completely sureal, and as I tried to journal about it the next morning (at Starbucks - there are 6 in Chiang Mai) I still couldnt' put anything into words. The juxtaposition of my night and Starbucks (which is airconditioned with comfy chairs) didn't help matters. All in all, I saw a completely different side of the world, and I felt very lucky to have done so. This is an amazing place, full of life and unique people and customs. It's enthralling. I've learned just a few sentences in Thai, and even the sounds in my mouth feel wonderful. I still need to write a good account of Metta, which has been rewarding and amazing in so many different ways. Enjoy your night my readers, it holds more magic than you might think.

 

Comments

1

I've been waiting for your latest post. We found video after we spoke. AMAZING!! Your writing does it more justice than I think the Youtube video could. It looked otherworldly. Miss you so! I am so thrilled that Thailand has been so rewarding for you! Can't wait to hear more!

  Leeanne Nov 30, 2010 3:44 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.