Existing Member?

Heading West

I've lost track of what day it is...Mon. July 26

USA | Monday, 26 July 2010 | Views [333]

cliff dwellings Mesa Verde

cliff dwellings Mesa Verde

We have all lost complete track of what day it is. The kids check their phones to find out and I check my computer.

We have seen some amazing things on this trip! I am amazed how huge our National Parks are. We drove throught the entrance gate at Mesa Verde and the next sign we saw told us the Visitors Center was 15 MILES ahead! After we drove that, it was 12 more miles to get to the spot where the cliff dwellers tour started. The roads were curvey and up and down. Our brakes were smoking and smelled horrible by the time we got to the tour. Someone could make a boatload offering a helicopter option from the entrance to the cliff dwellers!

The cliff dwellings were amazing. The structures have been there for 800 years and are 85% intact. The Indians farmed on top of the Mesa and lived in the alcove. We had a nice paved trail down-the Indians? Not so much. The hand holds and foot holds they used to climb up and down were still visible. Distance to the bottom? 1000-2000 feet. I would have had to move...

About beth2271

Good Hair!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.