Existing Member?

Twenty-one days on the road most travelled If that's way it is...then that's the way it is.

The vet’s backyard

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 15 November 2007 | Views [936]

The vet's backyard

The vet's backyard

Sydney to Taree.


Taree…hmmm…never heard of, you might say. Damn right!! Me neither.

But from the beginning:
I was supposed to pick up my new home for the next 21 days at 12pm in Williams St/
Woolloomooloo…in fact I was sitting in van for the first time at 15:30pm. I have absolutely no idea what the problem was, but I’m sure it was massive. Obviously. But anyway…that’s not a big deal. I’m on holidays, so all good.


My first minutes on the streets of Sydney:
F**K IT IS BLOODY NOT EASY!! My friends are liars!!!:) Everyone told me:
“Oh Rob, no worries, you’ll get used to it so soon”…and stuff like that.
Are you kiddin me?! It IS really tough for someone how hasn’t done it before. Controlling the traffic, reading and understanding the traffic signs, using the gear shift with the left hand, the blinker with the right and all that in a van with the measures of a road train. Believe me, It was tough. But I’m a lucky fellow and I made my way over the Harbour Bridge (the HARBOUR BRIDGE, MAN!!!!!!) and out of Sydney.


I was following the National One (or the Pacific Highway, not sure) up North, passed Newcastle and felt comfortable and just kept driving until the got dark. With absolutely no plan where I actually wanted to go I decided just to reach the next bigger city and try to find nice place to stay for the night. The next bigger one was: Taree. About 16 000 citizens, and none of them on the streets at 20:30pm. Well, I was in need of a plan, at least for today so I drove in the nearest gateway. And…what should I say…Just as I stopped the engine as guy came out of the house I parked the van next to and asked me if I’m in need of some help. I thought: ”Gosh,now that’s what I call Australian! Love it!”. In fact it was the vet of Taree (Sounds like a novel…) and believe it or not: He’s German. How cool is that? Or weird? Remarkable it is in any case. Anyway, he offered to park the van in his backyard, as there are no hostels and camping facilities in Taree. And that’s what I did of course…

Detected Germans on my way: 2

Tags: ambassador van, on the road

 

About bert166

Sydney Travel Expo

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.