Existing Member?

Into the blue... "LIFE BEGINS AT THE END OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE"

Jeans, fleece, hot coffee and numb toes...

FIJI | Monday, 19 March 2012 | Views [511]

...I must be back in NZ!  I arrived back in Auckland on Friday morning to my Dad remarking that I look like a Maori - thats what 5 weeks on a dive boat in Fiji will do for ya!  But the way the weather is currently looking in NZ, Ill have lost it within days...

My 5 weeks in Fiji flew by, my research and survey diving was phenomenal and as with the Galapagos, I met the most amazing people on base.  Thanks to all of you for making it amazing, inspirational and unforgettable :-)

I swam with Bulls Sharks, White Tips, Black Tips, Lemon and Reef Sharks; photographed turtles, eels, crayfish, crabs, molluscs, sharks and anenome fish (my personal favourite); surveyed soft and hard corals, invertebrates and fish; ate carbs and canned goods until I could no longer cope (!); and lived with some of most amazing people ever.

Ive decided that if I had my time again, I would be a marine biologist and work for the big blue - helping the ocean and all that inhabits this underwater world that covers 70% of our planet.  As it is though, I dont have the background and I dont think 'passion' alone will get me there - but if you have any ideas, feel free to share!  It seems being a volunteer in marine research will not get me the deposit I would need for a beachfront property...

My amazing few months of travel ended with my flight to Auckland on Friday, and HUGE thanks to my Dad and Yvette for giving me a room and food whilst I work out the future!  I guess Im slowly getting a plan together, but this whole 'deciding my future' business takes time, thought and space...and being with family is the best place to get all these things.

Ill keep ya updated on my plans but for the moment Vinaka and Hasta Luego.

Bek

X

About bekinthebigblue


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Fiji

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.