Existing Member?

Into the blue... "LIFE BEGINS AT THE END OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE"

Controversial decision made (well...more like 'expensive' decision made...)

ECUADOR | Monday, 5 December 2011 | Views [383] | Comments [1]

I've decided to leave the station a week early and spend some time in San Cristobal and Santa Cruz diving. Considering it costs $120 for 2 dives, I'm looking at a fairly expensive week before my flight to Quito on December 18. I'll also have to pay for hotels (though they are generally only around $15 per night), my own food and transport...and Ill be on my own I guess. I've met a great Canadian instructor in town who will be able to get me on her boat and will recommend a good dive operation in Santa Cruz. Sorted :)

I've figured that I'm not likely to come back to the Galapagos so might as well make the most of it. As far as we all can tell, Caeser is pretty relaxed about when we come or go...we've paid up all our money and are volunteers, so he's happy!

This morning we slept in till about 8am and headed back to the station for 10am. Me, Steve and Bailey managed to secure a spot in the cab, while Jimmy and Phil got wet in the back as it was raining...thanks for keeping our gear dry boys. It was raining and fairly miserable back at the station also so there wasn't much work going on, but ended up in the compost (nice) bagging dirt for tomato seed planting.

After lunch I was on the compost team AGAIN... shoveling dirt, chopping up rotten banana trees to add to the compost, watering it and leaving it to ferment. Is this the right term?! Dunno...(I got to use a machete though, so was happy!)

As it was Keith's last night, we went to the bar for a few quiet bevvies after dinner and I had a couple of Pilsner....still not come around to this crappy beer. Bailey did a phenomenal job of turning Keith's plain white cap into a masterpiece for his leaving pressie. Brick, you must wear this hat in every photo from now on, otherwise Humphrey might hunt you down and weld it to your head...fact :)

X

Ps. Moved out of my room last night...it's seriously damp and clothes are staring to smell (well...more than they usually do) and my new room is dryer...nice :-)

Comments

1

I expect Humphrey with a machete quoting Arnold Schwarzenegger when hunting me down, as I've already had a few photos without the masterpiece
Ps. Great work on this blog!

  Keith Dec 24, 2011 11:31 AM

About bekinthebigblue


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.