Existing Member?

Bec & Simon

Spring/Summer in Munich, 2010

GERMANY | Friday, 14 May 2010 | Views [900]

Carol, Simon and Sarah at the Augustinerbraeu

Carol, Simon and Sarah at the Augustinerbraeu

Spring and Summer in Munich this year were very busy and lots of fun. Finally we were able to leave the house without fifteen layers of clothing, and we really made the most of it. Simon was in heaven with the Soccer (sorry, 'football' if you are European) World Cup. Every beer garden in the city was set up with huge screens so that the Bavarians would not have to go without beer while watching the event. So we spent a lot of time with friends in beer gardens watching football. It was really an incredible atmosphere. Especially seeing as all of the people we were watching the games with were from different countries, and obviously wanting their own team to win. Simon and I (stupidly) decided to watch Australias first game (against Germany of course) with some friends at the Muffathalle. We suited up in our Australian soccer shirts (thanks Anne!) and tattoos and headed along only to discover we were the only Australians (as far as we could see!) in a hall filled with a good thousand socced-mad Germans. Simon of course didn't help matters, by expressing his fairly negative views of the umpires decisions, as loudly as possible. Fortunately for us, Germans aren't very aggressive people and were actually quite impressed by Simon's enthusiasm, and even joined in a few rounds of 'Aussie, Aussie, Aussie'. Unfortunately for us, Australia got their butts kicked and we were forced to endure a very lonely walk of shame back to our place.
But the highlight of the summer, for me, was having Mum and Sarah come to visit. They spent three weeks in Europe and spent a good part of that time here with us. We travelled into Italy together (but that is another journal entry), showed them around Munich and introduced them to our favourite beer halls and beer gardens. Mum suprised us all, by jumping right on the Bavarian bandwagon and downing several mass of Radler (beer and lemon). Looking forward to more visits from mine and Simon's families (and anyone else that cares to experience the greatest city in Europe!) in 2011! 

 

About bec-simon

Enjoying a little bit of sun in winter

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.