Existing Member?

Bec & Simon

Canada to California

USA | Friday, 5 June 2009 | Views [488]

Bec by the trusty car in Idaho. Notice the barn and nothing else behind her!

Bec by the trusty car in Idaho. Notice the barn and nothing else behind her!

2000km's in 2 days! We are absolutely wrecked from 12 hours a day driving but its been a fascinating couple of days. In just 48 hours we've gone from the frozen rocky mountains of Canada, through to the nothingness that is Idaho, the green rolling fields of Washington, back to mountains in Oregon and finally the redwood forests of California.

Had a little trouble with the friendly people of US customs though. We made the mistake of telling customs the truth and they refused us access because they didn't want us leaving our car in the states. So we had to drive back to the nearest town in Canada, book a bus ticket from Toronto to New York then go back and told them that we were driving to Toronto via the US then leaving the car in Canada and busing back to New York. Very painful and it cost us a couple of hours but the main thing is that we made it across the border with the car so everything is good. 

Speaking of the car, "Sandy" as Bec has affectionately named it , has been running beautifully. Even better on fuel than we thought it would be. Sandy gets us almost 600km from a tank that cost US$30 to fill up. 

In the morning we have a short (comparatively) drive to San Francisco for three nights. Hopefully the weather will clear up soon. 

 

About bec-simon

Enjoying a little bit of sun in winter

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.