Existing Member?

From Daegu to Cebu

A Proposal

PHILIPPINES | Friday, 13 November 2009 | Views [448]

After seeing a few more places in Panagsama, we soon realize that Linda’s place, although isolated is probably our best option. We head out to Roxy’s bar, home to our Aussie friends ex land-lady, Rose.  They’ve promised her a visit and we want to discuss one of her properties that they rented a while back, as it should be available to rent this Christmas and we kinda had our hearts set on it.

Rose is lovely, so tiny you just wanna pick her up and hug her.  Sadly, it turns out that her house won’t be available until February (I later meet the Welsh woman that is renting it).  I think she can sense our disappointment because after pausing for a moment, she say’s-

“You know what? I live in a really big house- you could live there…”

I think Neil and his wife Di are rather taken aback by this, as apparently Rose has never taken lodgers before.  We are both intrigued to say the least and express our interest immediately.

“Aw, but do you like dogs?”

Our faces light up. Of course we like dogs!

As the night goes on and the rums flow, Rose’s place becomes increasingly attractive. It transpires that she’s an avid reader/ writer and boasts a massive library.  We talk at length; she tells us about her beginnings in poverty and subsequent pilgrimage to the US (by boat) at the tender age of 14. Now back to her roots and worldly wise, her next step is to run for councilor for Basdiot (the “barangay” or local borough). She tells us the mechanics of a local election; we listen, mouths agape.  I really hope she gets elected; I get the feeling she’ll fight for what she believes in and there will definitely be some well welcomed changes in the area if she has her way.

We agree to see her pad first thing in the morning and call it a night, Stef rather pleased as Rose also offers him a job playing at Roxy’s. Oddly enough, her son has also been learning to finger pick and the two off them plucked the night away as I chatted to Rose. In fact, we were both taken aback when Ryan (Roses son) started to play Andy McKee; Stef was overjoyed to say the least, especially since he’s been desperate to play for the last two months when we’ve been travelling.

We go to bed all smiles.               

About bear


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.