Existing Member?

European Adventure 2016 2 sisters backpacking 11 countries in 1 month!

Europe's Capital and Old, New Friends

BELGIUM | Tuesday, 9 August 2016 | Views [416]

Our start in Belgium is an early one, 3am to be exact. Flight left at 6:50am so anyone who has flown knows just how early you have to be there before you can actually leave... Too early in my opinion! So of course I slept the entire way and we landed before I even realized we left. Hopped on a short train ride from the airport and walked the rest of the way to our hotel. I honestly didn't know what to expect of our hotel but it surprised me that is for sure! Was absolutely goregous! Now we didn't expect to get a room because well it was hours before check in, but somehow they had our room ready and we were golden. Threw our stuff in our room and went to this cute little bakery across the street for some breakfast and lunch. Now when I was saying this hotel was nice I mean it was nice the tub was huge and I was closer than I have ever been to being able to fully lay down and well that is quite the acomplishment!!! This being said I took full and complete advantage of this opportunity and had my first bath in years! I swear this bath melted all of my tension and stress away. (You have a lot of tension when you're backpacking because damn your backpack is freaking heavy!) So basically our first day was pretty relaxing. Day 2 is when we got down to business and went sightseeing. Again because it makes life so much easier we had a hop on hop off tour. Saw a ton of places and important buildings. My favourite thing was the atomium. It isn't just a cool looking piece of art it is a museum inside as well. Now if you don't know what the atomium is please take a minute and google it. Go on do it! If you don't you won't understand what I'm about to tell you. Find it? Good! So see the tubes that connect all the balls of the atom. Well those are all filled with escalators and staircases. We were inside them and it's kind of insane to think about. We were walking around inside a piece of art. Pretty cool eh? We came across at one point the World War I & II Monuments which were incredible. Wish we could have gotten to Flanders Field while we were there. After our day exploring the city we went back to our hotel and well Meaghan was really under the weather so she just went and slept while I went on a bit of a Belgium Beer tasting and well I ended up at a bar with a group of people from Spain and the beer tasting turned into well a little more than a tasting if you know what I mean. Let's say this I was extremely hung over the next day!!! This made life a little rough getting onto a train to head to Antwerp to meet my friend Anouk. But I did it and eventually was able to eat and not feel like shit haha. Oops. In the evening we met Anouk and her friend Valerie and they showed us their Antwerp and boy was it a pretty place! It was amazing to met Anouk and Valerie! Hopefully they will come visit Canada sometime! Our final day in Belgium had us wandering around Antwerp some more before getting a little tired and going and seeing Suicide Squad. (I know I know but I really wanted to see it and needed a break okay!) Thought it was pretty good though. Needed more Joker though! Belgium was beautifull and relaxing I really loved our time there! :)

Tags: antwerp, bcpckngbrtns, bcpckngbrtns2016, belgium, brussels, europe 2016, european adventure

About bcpckngbrtns


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Belgium

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.